Curious about pushrod lifter fit

-

buck351

Reaction score
So as I was looking at replacing noisy lifters and I looked at the lifter/pushrod fit. After market lifters and the design of the cup changed so I looked at the fit which I haven't done before. Looking at the stock 67 383 pushrod/lifter fit, current ones in the engine (Howard's cam/lifter set) and the new ones none really fit like a ball and socket like I would have thought they would fit together. The pushrod doesn't fit like a ball and socket but rides on a narrow ring or the edge of a tapered ring. Same forces over smaller area causes higher concentrated forces. I'm surprised they are designed like this. I'm curious if any knows why? A true ball and socket fit would provide more contact surface to spread the load.

Added photos. One is original lifter, the first Howards lifters that are in now then the new replacement Howards lifter that they changed the piston cup design. You can see on the used ones the shinny ring where the pushrod contacts. The new ones it will ride on the inside edge of the tapered ring at the top of the cup. I did compare pushrod height in the lifter of the one in now and the new one and they are the same.

Attachments

• Original lifter resize.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 69
  • First Howards lifter resized.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Second new Howards lifter resized.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 61
-
Back