curious, anybody run into this?

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
Not an A-body issue. I bought a used 02 ram 2500 w/5.9L Magnum engine, 118k miles. The engine oil dipstick has a "twist" built into the last 5/8in of the dipstick, and on this last 1/2in of the stick, there is this "coating". It is very thin, looks kinda "charcoal" black in color and texture. I can't tell for sure if it's a manufactured feature, or what its purpose might be. For all I know, it could be hardened sediment coating. Anybody seen anything like this before? It's kinda driving me crazy.

Not an A-body issue. I bought a used 02 ram 2500 w/5.9L Magnum engine, 118k miles. The engine oil dipstick has a "twist" built into the last 5/8in of the dipstick, and on this last 1/2in of the stick, there is this "coating". It is very thin, looks kinda "charcoal" black in color and texture. I can't tell for sure if it's a manufactured feature, or what its purpose might be. For all I know, it could be hardened sediment coating. Anybody seen anything like this before? It's kinda driving me crazy.
Doubt it would be a hardened sediment. I have seen some with coatings on the tip,as to not wear the aluminum castings they pass through.

How clean is the rest of the stick? Is it brown, varnished, dirty?

How clean is the rest of the stick? Is it brown, varnished, dirty?
no, the stick is otherwise clean. But the engine oil was pretty dirty, and a quart low when I bought it. I immediately changed oil and filter, after purchase. I just changed the oil again, after only 1350 miles because the oil was changing color again so quickly, and I like to change oil at even number mileages, ie. 120k miles.
I'd post a pic of the dipstick end, if I knew how. Isn't there a trick to it?

no, the stick is otherwise clean. But the engine oil was pretty dirty, and a quart low when I bought it. I immediately changed oil and filter, after purchase. I just changed the oil again, after only 1350 miles because the oil was changing color again so quickly, and I like to change oil at even number mileages, ie. 120k miles.
I have an '02 Ram 1500 5.9 gas, 180,000 miles have owned it since '03 when it had 25,000 miles. No issues with the dipstick tip as you've described. However, I now have to add a qt. of oil every 2,000 miles and usually change oil and filter every 3500 miles.

I have an '02 Ram 1500 5.9 gas, 180,000 miles have owned it since '03 when it had 25,000 miles. No issues with the dipstick tip as you've described. However, I now have to add a qt. of oil every 2,000 miles and usually change oil and filter every 3500 miles.

Have you checked to see if the plenum gasket is leaking?

Have you checked to see if the plenum gasket is leaking?
The intake gasket, water pump & thermostat were replaced around 50k, nothing wrong with the pump but was there so...plugs are always looking nice. Took throttle body off cleaned mas etc. ,runs great.

I have seen this plastic looking coating on some replacement dipsticks. Probably to prevent injury when being used in this manner.

The intake gasket, water pump & thermostat were replaced around 50k, nothing wrong with the pump but was there so...plugs are always looking nice. Took throttle body off cleaned mas etc. ,runs great.

You can stick a fiber optic camera down thru the throttle body and see if there is oil inside the intake on the bottom.
My 1500 5.9 runs great but is sucking oil thru the plemun gasket. When the weather warms up then I'll do the aluminum plenum plate modiflication.

Doubt it would be a hardened sediment. I have seen some with coatings on the tip,as to not wear the aluminum castings they pass through.
Or even steel. I've seen it on several dipsticks... JIMMY. lol

You can stick a fiber optic camera down thru the throttle body and see if there is oil inside the intake on the bottom.
My 1500 5.9 runs great but is sucking oil thru the plemun gasket. When the weather warms up then I'll do the aluminum plenum plate modiflication.
I'll have to read up on that modification. How many miles are on your 5.9 and what year?

I've seen a coating on dipsticks in other vehicles . It's there to stop the end of the stick from scratching the tube

I did my plenum with the Hughes engines plenum upgrade kit best investment for these engines.

Somewhere in the back of my mind,did it possibly have something to do with an engine rattle or a buzz?

Several of my Mopars have that. It's a plastic coating to insure (snicker) easy insertion of your dipstick into a tight, kinky, tube.

Take that plastic coating off, and you won't hardly be able to insert the dispstick. It'll snag in the bends in the tube.

Several of my Mopars have that. It's a plastic coating to insure (snicker) easy insertion of your dipstick into a tight, kinky, tube.

Take that plastic coating off, and you won't hardly be able to insert the dispstick. It'll snag in the bends in the tube.
ok, it is pretty hard to insert already. I think if it were any harder, it might kink and break.

ok, no puns intended.

If you are using a cell phone . Use the Upload Photo button when you go to post.
Click on camera.
Take a picture.
If it is a good picture in the top right corner click ok or keep.
Then it should load to ypur post.
Click Post Reply.

Sometimes you will get a low memory error. Go back an reshoot a picture and try agin.

If you are using a cell phone . Use the Upload Photo button when you go to post.
Click on camera.
Take a picture.
If it is a good picture in the top right corner click ok or keep.
Then it should load to ypur post.
Click Post Reply.

Sometimes you will get a low memory error. Go back an reshoot a picture and try agin.
I'll try that tomorrow. thx

Believe me when I tell you its a safety thing for stupid people. More than likely someone poked themselves in the eye.

15813621778642040887990.jpg
1581362221199741739785.jpg

-
Back