Curious if a 1980 f body rearend will fit a 72-74 Dart?

-

Mateo

Reaction score
Curious if a 1980 f body rearend will fit a 72-74 Dart? I have an 1980 Aspen parts car and my friend needs a rearend for his Dart.

Yeah. It'll bolt in but the spring perches are like 1/2" wider apart, so you have to push the leaf springs apart a little. It'll fit, but it's not "right".

the overall width is wider (same as 65~67 B body 54 1/4") and you'll need to move the perches, but it's a viable option.

just keep in mind the width in regards to rim selection and tire width for fitment.

And the locator holes in the perches are HUGE (due to the goofy iso-clamp mounting) and don't properly locate the perches on the A body springs. To properly mount it, you'd need to cut off the F body perches and weld on some standard perches in the correct locations.
1721964746592.png

If you still want to undertake it, make sure it's not a 7.25 rear, not worth the effort. You can get actual A body 7.25s for a song. Or at least hum a few bars...

I’m running an F-Body 8.25 in my Duster with the correct perches and width. Works well for my purpose as it is a close match in width to a 67ish B-Body 8.75 and allows me to run a ‘97 Mustang 17x8 wheel. It needed longer wheel studs and the center bore isn’t right but all in all it worked very well.

-
Back