current price on an A body 440 , 4 speed ?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
what do you think is the current price on a driver A body 4 speed..I have a few to look @ and am lost in value..never had a A body until two weeks ago..1968 Dart

were building a rat so want to put $$ in parts/not paint..

depending on what has been done.to it..I would say 3 to 5 hundred or so, would be a fair price...Of course I am cheap too......LoL

what do you think is the current price on a driver A body 4 speed..I have a few to look @ and am lost in value..never had a A body until two weeks ago..1968 Dart

I don't understand the question.

Is it a whole car, or just a driving condition 4 spd tranny?

I don't understand the question.

Is it a whole car, or just a driving condition 4 spd tranny?
I thought he was asking for a general price on a big block 4 spd for an A-body......Not the whole car....?????

Yup its an a833. the only difference is the bell housing wich is interchangable...soooo you will have to find an A body A833 4sp. It will prob be a small block 4 spd so then you need to buy a Big block Bell housing for an A833. but befor you buy that, you will need to know if you are going to use motor mount or motor plate. only 3 bell housings work with the motor mounts.

yes just a 4 speed trans...will go with motor mounts and a hydrolic clutch to clear headers and general ease of use....any hydrolic clutch custom kits made ? thanks !

Well one thing for sure, don't tell anyone you are putting it into a "rat". I've got half a dozen 4-speeds, and a rollaway full of NOS gears, but I'm not going to sell a 17,000 original mile 4-speed or one I've built with an NOS gearset to go into a "rat". I'd rather give it to the kid up the road who at least is aspiring to a paint job.

well Im not a kid..and my works are headed to a Hemi...not paint.

Hemi rat...baby steps 440/4 speed...Hemi/4 speed....

found one (833) for $300 local a 1969 unit.

R A T

i got mine for $200 and the guy has another for the same price so i dont think 300 is bad. with shipping thats what his other one would be for you

the dude I got it from has a mopar boneyard shop...it took him 1 hour to locate it in a 2000 sq ft. shop...it was sure/real..you had to walk sideways through stacks of blocks with intakes on top teetering...changler hoods scattered like a morin after drunkin party..he had 3-4 trans on a shelf 6 ft off the ground...a firebird on a lift thats been there 6 years...under boxes he had a 1968 road runner he said he took a deposit on 5 years ago...the guy calls him now and then stateing he's working on the $$$. he said he sell it but we sold them 440/4 speeds running back in the day for $600 and made $$$..I told him he needs to be featured in a mopar mag..old 1964 mopars sitting outside in his lot...friends stuff

What is called a "Hemi 4-speed" is an 833. It is instantly recognizable by the 1" x 18-spline input shaft. These were not a factory production item in any of the A-body cars except for those Hurst-built hemi Barracudas and Darts of 1968. The hemi 4-speed WAS used in the B and E-bodies that were hemi engine equipped or had a 440. 383 cars used the small 23-spline input shaft as did all the small blocks. The gears in the 18-spline trans cannot be mixed with those of the 23-spline - they are cut at a different angle and the ratios are different. The front bearing retainer is also larger on the hemi trans.

If you can find an 18-spline 4-speed anywhere for $600 you better scarf it up!!! You can build one but that's expensive too! If you need parts, contact Jamie at Passon Performance or Brewers.

The 23-spline version is an excellent transmission that will take a hell of a beating and keep on going.

Real men drive pedal cars!

By the way, the hemi gears can be put in the A and F-body 4-speed OD aluminum cases. The early ones used the beefy mainshaft that takes the 727 yoke while the later ones use a 904 yoke. It makes a big difference in the tailhousing. This is what I did in my '71 Demon Pro Street car. Check out Dis my ride on this site.

Thanks for that info, Pat. I was unaware of the gear cuts. I did remember that the gear ratios were different, however. Did you have any racing experience with those Super Stock Hurst cars back in the day? If so, maybe you could write a bit about them up in the General MoPar thread. I certainly would be extremely interested.

Thanks for that info, Pat. I was unaware of the gear cuts. I did remember that the gear ratios were different, however. Did you have any racing experience with those Super Stock Hurst cars back in the day? If so, maybe you could write a bit about them up in the General MoPar thread. I certainly would be extremely interested.

Hemi gears are cut to a coarser pitch. They are further heat treated, and the gears themselves are bushed. There are several different ratios for Hemi gears, I myself have a couple white stripe gearsets, and a red stripe gearset. The red stripe stuff is all drag race gears. I just posted a bunch of pics of some NOS "slickshift" Hemi gears over in th early A column. They were some early '65/'68 Superstock pieces, and a '70 Prostock gearset.

By the way, the hemi gears can be put in the A and F-body 4-speed OD aluminum cases. The early ones used the beefy mainshaft that takes the 727 yoke while the later ones use a 904 yoke. It makes a big difference in the tailhousing. This is what I did in my '71 Demon Pro Street car. Check out Dis my ride on this site.

Actually I have NEVER been able to find an OD 4-speed that you can put a Hemi gearset into. Yes, the mainshaft takes the 833/727 yoke, but the OD gear (3rd) is much smaller in diameter than the Hemi 3rd, and the landing on the mainshaft is too small for the Hemi 3rd gear to fit.

-
Back