• Other (comment below)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm on the hunt to have a custom crankshaft made. Yes it's odd but it's a stock spec 360 crank but with 8 counterweights instead of the normal 6. Called Winberg and the guy on the phone basically said "good luck, that's a hard order and we are so far backed up." and waiting on a call back from Bryant. Any other options out there? I would've thought a 360 crank with 8 counterweights wouldn't have been too big of a demand but I guess I was wrong. That's the life of a Mopar owner.

Not a lot of options out there. I think there is one you forgot and I’m not going to remember it.

Thinking of it, Crower does billet cranks and IIRC Scat offers them to.

Moldex is worth calling. I think they are still in business.

I’ve been trying to convince Scat since about 2001 to offer 8 CW forged cranks.

Their answer was we won’t sell enough of them to make it worth doing.

And that problem lies engine builders and YouTube influencers not educating their customers on the benefits of 8 counterweights.

They ALL should have 8 counterweights but the bean counters won that argument a long time ago.

Like this one?

IMG_1169.png

I'd say that's pretty much it lol, what brand is that? Winberg guy said that they think they won't be doing anymore Mopar products because not many people buy them. He said he had 340 product designs but no 360 stuff. He wasn't sure what 360 designs were like and I told him it's pretty much the same crank but with large main journals and a larger stroke. I know there is a little more to that but it's not like a 340 to a 360 is astronomically different

I'd say that's pretty much it lol, what brand is that? Winberg guy said that they think they won't be doing anymore Mopar products because not many people buy them. He said he had 340 product designs but no 360 stuff. He wasn't sure what 360 designs were like and I told him it's pretty much the same crank but with large main journals and a larger stroke. I know there is a little more to that but it's not like a 340 to a 360 is astronomically different
LA Enterprise Kryptonite.

I'm wondering what your trying to accomplish? It's hard to imagine needing a $3k-4k crankshaft for a 360.

I'm wondering what your trying to accomplish? It's hard to imagine needing a $3k-4k crankshaft for a 360.
Extreme lightweight without breaking. Scat has a superlight but I'm not liking the way it looks after talking with several people

They balance a lot nicer and the center counterweights keep the crank far more stable than 6 CW’s can.

They got rid of two of them way before my time only to save money.
Yeah I get all that, just wondering what his build is to warrant such a nice crank

Extreme lightweight without breaking. Scat has a superlight but I'm not liking the way it looks after talking with several people
Look around and find you a short deck R3 with ford mains. That would get you what you want! Probably more of those ford main cranks laying around than the mopar size stuff. I'd check with Ernie Elliott, he had a bunch of that stuff at one time

Another thought is call Ritter. Who knows what that guy and his friends have stashed away. And the nice thing is those guys actually sell stuff.

Yeah I get all that, just wondering what his build is to warrant such a nice crank
Completely valid question to ask. Doing a 1970 factory 360 block, 13.5:1 CR with a Racer Brown .738/.712 270-274 @ 50 & 107 LSA and the W9 heads/intake I bought from you a two years ago. The goal is 730 HP with no block fill.

Completely valid question to ask. Doing a 1970 factory 360 block, 13.5:1 CR with a Racer Brown .738/.712 270-274 @ 50 & 107 LSA and the W9 heads/intake I bought from you a two years ago. The goal is 730 HP with no block fill.

The other thing you want is at least a 4-7 swap cam.

It will show a small gain on the dyno but it will be quicker in the car. On top of that your bearings will look better.

Or you can ask for the Cadillac firing order which swaps two more cylinders. I forgot the other two cylinders they swap.

And that firing order is actually a Ford firing order when you fix Fords wacky firing order.

And all of those are the same as the LS firing order IIRC. I guess I should get the book out to make sure I haven’t lost all my mind.

The problem is finding a core to even get a 4-7 swap.

-
Back