Custom door handle

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
While prepping the passenger side door for paint, I found it was a bondo covered wavy mess. I picked up a good shell Saturday and figured I wanted to use the old for for some practice. I have had an old flush mount door handle from some GM car sitting around and wanted to see what it would look like installed on the 65. What do you think? :happy1:

Attachments

• IMAG0413.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 225
  • IMAG0413-2.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0416.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMAG0417.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG0418.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 192
Could look cool... Maybe recess it so the edges are truly flush with the door skin like an e body handle would be.... I put e body handles in my 69 RR when I had it and have done the same to my 69 Wanna-bee project.

I dont recall the exact year model but... Chrysler offered a handle like that on a 300. Advertised as easy pull door handle. It became known as easy pull off as in easy to break. I think the weight of the doors on the 300 might have been the factor causing those to get a bad reputation faster.
They didn't hold up well on anything except the very large ones on refridgerator doors.
Then again same applies to the plastic can openers on todays cars. Once the hinges and latch bind a little the handle will break.

I wonder if it should be higher on the door. I choose where it is because of the arm for the release. I could extend the arm and go higher.

68-72 Pontiac Grand Prix handle...... did you hook it up to the latch so it functions?

Thanks, yep it works. It is not set for longterm use at the moment though. The arn does not reach in far enough, so I added a large head selftapping screw to the release arm.

-
Back