Custom Duster Gauge Cluster

-

392Mopar

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to share the custom gauge cluster I'm making for my 72 Duster. I took and old cluster and cut out the back, then made a mock up out of chip board, then cut the panel out of carbon fiber. I still have to paint the olt housing and mount the insert, then wire it all up, but I think it will look pretty cool. I'm also going to make a carbon fiber insert for the stock style center console so it ties it all together.

Any body ever wire up a custom panel? I'm planning on wireing it myself instead of paying $100 for one of the pre wired harnesses. What would be a good gauge wire to use? And any tips?

What do you think?

Butch

Attachments

• DSC03078 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DSC03079 (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSC03082 (Medium).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,425
  • DSC03084 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,215
Now that was a pretty good idea...I have been horsing around with ideas, but cant find anything that fits as nice as my stock one....can you post some pics of the back and sides. I want to see how you mated the chipboard! thank you! Dan

I only used the chip board as a mock up panel cause its easier to cut them the carbon fiber, then traced it onto the CF and cut it out. Dont have other pictures right now,but basically cut out the back of the old cluster and made this panel to fit. In hindsight I would have left more meat to screw the panel to the old cluster but I only left a thin strip so I'm going to epoxy it in place.

392Mopar,

That looks good. I'm planning on doing something very similar.

Where did you acquire the headlight & wiper switches? Details would be greatly appreciated.

DartGTDan

Looks pretty darn good! Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for turn signal and high beam indicator?

Got the switches from Jegs, they have a house brand or Painless, look like the same switches. And as for marker lights, I have 2 green and one red for turn signals and high beam, just didnt put them in yet.

I want to do something like that to save my 67 Cuda from ungodly uglyness. Would be interested in all the details you cae to share on this project.

Really not much to tell, I didnt like any of the aftermarket panels available, and just happened to have an extra one laying around to chop up. Got the carbon fiber sheet off ebay, as well as the full gauge set. I started by cutting out the back of the stock panel with a dremel and cut off tool, then made a cardboard patern to fir inside. Then I made up some cardboard circles the same size as the gauges to get a feel to what setup I wanted. Once that was done I made a mock up panel out of some old chip board that was on the back on my daughters dresser, just to see how it would all look put together. Then once I was happy, I cut the same patern in the carbon fiber sheet. Thats about how far I am now. Next is to repaint the stock panel and epoxy the carbon fiber insert into it, then I can mount the gauges and start wireing. I'll update when its a complete panel. Just a mater of doing what you think will look good. I always loved the Rocky Mountain Dashes but they were too pricey, and no longer available, so I figured I'd take a stab at making something that I liked.

Yeah I was thinking about one of those but I never liked how the speedo and tack are way off center to the steering column,thats what made me want to make my own. Plus I heard they were a little flimsy. Not bad though if you dont want to mess with making one. I'm only into mine for about $20 vs $130 also, minus guages of coarse. Plus the fake carbon fiber looks cheesey!!!

The 2 big ones are slightly off centered, that's it. Not to bad.

Yeah I was thinking about one of those but I never liked how the speedo and tack are way off center to the steering column,thats what made me want to make my own. Plus I heard they were a little flimsy. Not bad though if you dont want to mess with making one. I'm only into mine for about $20 vs $130 also, minus guages of coarse. Plus the fake carbon fiber looks cheesey!!!

you're right, the fastlane products are flimsy and don't look like carbon. i re-inforced mine with lexan glued to the back and went over the phony carbon fiber with 3M di-loc shrink wrap for an acceptible result.

Attachments

• 013_1_1.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 872
you're right, the fastlane products are flimsy and don't look like carbon. i re-inforced mine with lexan glued to the back and went over the phony carbon fiber with 3M di-loc shrink wrap for an acceptible result.

That looks nice, much better than there carbon look!!!

Thanks
is that panel you got off ebay real carbon fiber?
that sure looks like a great alternative do doing what i did!

Yeah its a real sheet of carbon fiber, you can get it in various sizes and thicknesses. Got one to make the panel and another to make an insert for the console.

Actually it wouldnt be bad to get a panel like yours but in black without cutouts, and use an insert like mine so its real carbon, and you wouldnt have to dice up a factory piece, hmmm.

Yeah its a real sheet of carbon fiber, you can get it in various sizes and thicknesses. Got one to make the panel and another to make an insert for the console.

Actually it wouldnt be bad to get a panel like yours but in black without cutouts, and use an insert like mine so its real carbon, and you wouldnt have to dice up a factory piece, hmmm.
check out the link above, its about $20 cheaper than the fastlane one and its all solid so you choose where to cut out

-
Back