Custom fit piston rings / tool?

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
My kb107 pistons have ring assy that need to be cut to fit. I plan on using a dremel tool to aquire the end ring spacing for my application. Is there a better tool to use than this?
Thanks to those who helped w/ the comp. link.

BTW, motor is a .030 360la not a 408. 408 exeeded the budget.

A piston ring file works best but next would be a flat file. Don't use a Dremel unless you have about 3 extra sets. You can very easily take off way too much with a Dremel. Once you take off too much your screwed.

Make sure and knock down any sharp corners after you file fit them.

Or take it to a machine shop and have them do it for you

Never never never use a dremel, never never never, thats just nuts, anyone who sas different is a dicksquit.
ok.
never, never, never.

we are not engine builders here.

just doin our best to build a good engine.

I only have one set of rings. Dont plan on buying more. A FILE IT IS.:read2:

I have a hand crank piston ring filer and an electric ring filer, have never used the electric one, always using the hand cranker for some weird reason. I always use a soap stone to de burr ALL the edges. Oh oh and a ring squaring tool or at least some calipers are a must.

A roll of masking tape makes a great ring squaring tool I found this time around.
I just pull off enough tape to where the roll fits into the bore and you can use that to push your ring in squarely to check with a feeler.

If you don't want to invest in a piston ring file a womans nail file works better than a standard flat file. You can get a package of them for a couple of bucks in the cosmetic section of the local pharmacy or department store. The nail file is an abrasive grit (i.e. saad paper) on a semi rigid fiber board with coarse on one side an fine on the other.

You can also use an inverted piston to square the ring in the bore for checking the gap.

If you don't want to invest in a piston ring file a womans nail file works better than a standard flat file. You can get a package of them for a couple of bucks in the cosmetic section of the local pharmacy or department store. The nail file is an abrasive grit (i.e. saad paper) on a semi rigid fiber board with coarse on one side an fine on the other.

You can also use an inverted piston to square the ring in the bore for checking the gap.

When using an inverted piston, install the oil ring assembly on the piston. The oil ring will stop the ring that you are filing square in the bore.

I have a hand crank piston ring filer and an electric ring filer, have never used the electric one, always using the hand cranker for some weird reason. I always use a soap stone to de burr ALL the edges. Oh oh and a ring squaring tool or at least some calipers are a must.
Help me understand de burr All the edges.

Simply the the 4 sides at the ring ends? (filed areas)
Right?

Thanks to all helping out.

I'll have an assort. of files when I begin that process.

KB instructions gave different distances for end gap clearance depending on the application. Tighter gaps for grocery getters / larger gaps for those who intend severe duty usage. Mine will probably be the s.d. usage one.

Thanks again.

Just cut um off with dykes, they'll be fine.

I use the Summit ring filer... It's a lot faster and more repeatable than trying to do it by hand. I think it was $30?.

I use the Summit ring filer... It's a lot faster and more repeatable than trying to do it by hand. I think it was $30?.
I'll check into it. They seem to deliver to my front door in about a day usually. Thanks a mill.8)

-
Back