Custom instrument cluster - what a PIA!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
So I bought the cluster from Fastlanewest. I have to say, the plastic is so thin and floppy, I am not impressed. It says some cars need to use aftermarket headlight and wiper switches. There is no possible way to use a stock headlight switch. And the mounting surface is very thin, un reinforced plastic. I modified it a bit and cut the hell out of my headlight switch and got it to fit, but just barely. I put a washer on both sides to help support it in the cheap plastic. The wiper mount isn't close to stock shape. If it had a stock shape the switch would have gone right in. As it stands, I had to modify again. It doesn't look as good as I would like, but no one else will notice it. I got to spend half a day at it, so I installed temp sender and while I was at it put in the new water outlet with the o-ring seal. I ran the wires for that, the volt meter and the tach. I ran a common ground and also the wiring for the gauge lights so they will dim with the headlight switch. I tapped the wire for the fuel sender off the old cluster harness. All I have left is to install the oil pressure sender and run the wiring for it, and run the wiring for the electric speedometer. I am going to wait until Friday and drive down to the shop to use the hoist so I can install the speedometer speed sensor more easily. Coming along pretty well.
View attachment Custom instrument cluster.jpg

View attachment Wiring dash for custom instrument cluster.jpg

View attachment Wiring dash for custom instrument cluster 1.jpg

What do they cost? EDIT YIKES just got back from their website. For that kind of money, they should have sent out the bikini team to install it for you

Would it help to make a backup piece of sheet metal behind the dash?

(Obviously what the manufacturer SHOULD have done)

l.jpg

I was going to make my own and the gauges I wanted came to just under $1000, so this isn't as bad as all that. I am going to reinforce where I can with fiberglass. The bikini team would be a nice touch, though. Business would almost certainly skyrocket.

I used JB Weld to glue some 1/8" lexan on the back to stiffen things up, also made some little washers out of the lexan to make the switch sockets stronger. I was very disappointed with the overall flimsyness of the fastlanewest insert.
The "carbon fiber look" was so phony looking that I went over it with 3M Di-Loc shrink wrap.
Next time I'll make my own!

Attachments

• march 25, 2012 017_1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,178
I used steel washers on both sides to stiffen the switch holes. I agree, I am very disappointed at the thin, flimsy plastic. Did you use your OE switches or did you have to go aftermarket?

This coat me less than a 100 bucks to get made at a machine shop from 1/8" thick x 10" h x 6' long aluminum stock, from the complete design which I marked with a sharpie to cutting the holes for all the gauges right down to the sunken screw holes. Most any machine shop can do this with a Bridgeport or a CNC router which most all have. I cut out the dash myself for the gauges to fit and when it came to the allen screws I then used JB weld for the nuts and this has been in my Signet over 25 years. You'll be much happier having it done on your own
Aug09033.jpg

BTW, I have another on being done this coming week and its still costing under 100 bucks. I need it for new SpeedHut gauges..

And every machine shop has a brake to bend what needs to be bent for your application. Use your imagination and you'll be much happier with the outcome. My first one was made from black Lucite back then. Plus if you want the carbon fiber, there are many places which sell small sizes on the Internet even here http://www.dragonplate.com/

-
Back