Custom mix black paint for two tone car

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep it is a B body and even a more door! 64 Ply Belvedere. My first sorta custom and first more door. I did the bottom side in oem Antique Gold has sort of a greenish tint, the top is Spinnaker White, I want to do the top in black, but not sure if gloss, satin or even a "charcoal" black is what I want. This car is just a fun driver, poly 318, PB.
If I wanted to go the charcoal, I wonder if the local PPG store could mix what I want, trial and error with me as "advisor"??
A year ago, I went there to have the oem White (an off white) for 64 Savoy mixed, in single stage. It was a Sat. and the lady there mixed it and before she even startd said, the factory receipe is WRONG!!! It turned out light grey and I got a free gal. She then proceeded to mix it, by the seat of hr pants and it was dead on.

IMG_0028 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Black would look nice. I've seen cars with gold two toned with almost like a toyota lunar gray that looked nice too.

When you said flat black it reminded me of my father. He bought a 59 plymouth savoy brand new with zero options. When he noticed it had whitewall tires he demanded the dealer remove them and credit him the difference. Shortly after getting it, he painted the hood and wiper arms flat black cause the glare was bothering him...that and he was in Naval aviation and I'm sure the nose paint of the aircraft of the day inspired him. Too funny.

just look at color chip book or something current you see on a lot

I can't tell squat by color chips I admit. Might try a Toyoto lot! They have some new cars!
I went to the local Dodge dealership other day looking for the running lite for the 95 dually rear. Of course, stopping making thenm 20 odd years ago!LOL I asked the parts car can't try get in any new vehicles? NO chips I assume. He said, they could not even get a damn fuel filter!! LOL
Good thing I will never be able to own a new car or truck!

-
Back