Custom project

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
I felt I should have as many ideas as I could get on this. I'm working on a custom car project that is, right now, all conceptual. I wanted to get other peoples ideas and suggestions for the car.

It's called the El viajero, and its what I think should have been the dodge answer to the ranchero and the el camino.
View attachment El viajero car.jpg

Please realize this is a hand drawn piece, it's not great. Anyway. I'm wondering what car I should use as its base, originally I was thinking a '66 dart station wagon, but as i use more B body parts in my concept drawings, i'm wondering if it would be big enough. So i'm thinking a satellite wagon or something might be better.
I want to keep that rounded look, and I plan on using a high compression 225, or a nice 318 and a four speed manual.

So, questions, comments, ideas?

The mustang and challenger look awful. Some of the others though I can say I would honestly drive!

There used to be a field of junk cars from the 20s through the 40s located about 15 miles away from me. There were several old cars there that had been converted into trucks by the original owners from that era. In a poor farming community it was rare to buy more than one vehicle. So as the cars aged out the owners converted them to trucks rather than purchase one. There must have been 30 or 40 car/trucks in that field.

Don't forget that Mopar did make the Rampage too.

Exactly why i want to do this, the rampage was a godawful answer to chevy and ford, at least I think so. I carry no love for the thing, I don't know about you other guys.

Exactly why i want to do this, the rampage was a godawful answer to chevy and ford, at least I think so. I carry no love for the thing, I don't know about you other guys.

I don't know. I never had a huge desire to own a Rampage but I didn't think they were ugly. I think they were an attempt by Chrysler to find a niche market for a sporty mini truck. The styling on them was in line with most other 1980-ish vehicles.

There are so many different ways to customize cars and trucks. I had played around with the idea of modifying a van into a truck because I wanted to have a tow vehicle that would have custom storage areas and an increased storage inside.

Whatever your motivation is I wish you good luck. After looking at pictures of other cars modded into trucks it's easy to see how they can start to look really bad if the body lines don't appear to be consistent. The nice thing about starting with a vehicle that is cheap is that it's less likely to draw criticism from folks that object to classics being cut up.

You're trying to be more on par with the '59 El Camino then? That was a beautiful car.

Something like that, yeah. my thought process was; What if chrysler had immediately produced a vehicle after the el camino was introduced? I wanted to make that car, try to make it look as close to what detroit would have done.

And it's not the body that gets me about the rampage, it was the fact that it came about so late. If it was done a decade earlier, it could have been way better.

I actually started building a Bel-Camino out of a 4 door 68 Belvedere. Cut the roof just behind the post, sectioned the original back window frame and had fitted it in, and then I had to drop the project when a change of business plans meant giving up the shop I was building it in. Parted the car out, but always regretted that. It had a really good basic look to it!

A neighbor has an early Barracuda someone made into a pickup. Pretty easy with the large rear glass. It's a 273-4 speed car too!

There was an article in a magazine a couple of years ago with some artist's renderings of some alternative vehicle designs. One was a Duster made into a pickup. The quarter glass and rear window reminded me of an 80s El Camino but one done right would look really good.
Dallas

Got any pictures of the barracuda truck?

Sorry, I don't. I didn't even think to take any when I saw it. I'm sure it's still sitting in the same spot as when I saw it last. He has a half dozen (at least) vehicles that have something wrong with them-----but he's going to fix them up someday.. :wack:
Dallas

He has a half dozen (at least) vehicles that have something wrong with them-----but he's going to fix them up someday.. :wack:
Dallas

Dont you love those guys? "no, im going to make it into a show car someday" :roll:

My dad told me this story about a guy in twin falls that,once upon a time, had a 1942 plymouth truck, one of the last before they cancelled production for the war effort. It wasn't terrible, it needed new upholstery, the engine rebuilt, and new paint, but it was good and solid. My dad asked the guy for about two years to sell, and every time he said no.
Cut to the end, one day, the guys grandkids were 'playing' (read: smoking weed) in the truck, and torched the truck to the ground, it was pretty much destroyed. :crybaby:

Don't know what he did with the rest, all I know is theres a burn spot on the guys lawn and no more truck.

Damon Kuhn made this from a 60 4dr
vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]

we had a 70 0r 71 dart truck when i was young. To young to remember alot lol . But I know the story a dealer had 2 made the other one was unknown my guess it was scarped years before . It was a neat little truck . I wish i could find it agin. I think it got parted for a demon clone. So i i dont think i will ever find it agin.

There used to be a field of junk cars from the 20s through the 40s located about 15 miles away from me. There were several old cars there that had been converted into trucks by the original owners from that era. In a poor farming community it was rare to buy more than one vehicle. So as the cars aged out the owners converted them to trucks rather than purchase one. There must have been 30 or 40 car/trucks in that field.
Cars were converted to trucks in the early days because of fuel rationing regulations that allowed trucks owners a larger quantity.

Cars were converted to trucks in the early days because of fuel rationing regulations that allowed trucks owners a larger quantity.

Now that's a cool bit of trivia. - Never knew that. Is your user name based on date of birth or do you own a '30? I've got a buddy restoring a 1930 Dodge sedan now.

Now that's a cool bit of trivia. - Never knew that. Is your user name based on date of birth or do you own a '30? I've got a buddy restoring a 1930 Dodge sedan now.
Primary interest in the past has been Dodge/Graham Brothers cars/trucks primarily prior to 1932 but have tons of literature up until 1938 including parts manuals and sales literature.

I have a 1930 Dodge Victoria.

Short on time right now but when WPC museum needs factory literature they often contact me. If your buddy is doing an original restoration and is in need of having some questions answered I can maybe help. [email protected]

Dont you love those guys? "no, im going to make it into a show car someday" :roll:

My dad told me this story about a guy in twin falls that,once upon a time, had a 1942 plymouth truck, one of the last before they cancelled production for the war effort. It wasn't terrible, it needed new upholstery, the engine rebuilt, and new paint, but it was good and solid. My dad asked the guy for about two years to sell, and every time he said no.
Cut to the end, one day, the guys grandkids were 'playing' (read: smoking weed) in the truck, and torched the truck to the ground, it was pretty much destroyed. :crybaby:

Don't know what he did with the rest, all I know is theres a burn spot on the guys lawn and no more truck.

Prior to 1919/1920 trucks were un-available as complete units from any one dealership, all were assembled from pieces manufactured by many aspiring machine shops or were purchased initially as automobiles only to have truck conversion kits added to them. ( again that were manufactured from various shops )

Graham Brothers ( whom became a big part of the Dodge Brothers organization ) changed all of this in 1920.

Graham Brothers began manufacturing their trucks 17/18 using primarily D.B drivetrain.

Brothers died ( both ) 1920 and new shop manager ( Fred Haynes ) saw a need to add trucks to the always expanding line.

John and Horace ( D.B ) were both against the idea up until that point.

Lots of interesting history if your into that :)

Well the history lesson on pick em ups was interesting, but I still want some input on my project. I looked around a bit and found an article on setting up fuel injection from slantsix.org

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/bryan_long-fi/bryan_long-fi.htm

So I figured that is a good place to start. what i'm wondering is; Can I use a cheap-o 1-barrel intake off a volare, or is the offy the builder used necessary for the project? I was also wondering if I could use one of the older valve covers on a later motors. (a 60's ribbed cover on a '76 motor) I figure it would probably bolt on no problem, but what about the crankcase ventilation system?

I figured that when I rebuild the motor, since a turbo setup would be in the future, I would just go to a stock rebuild, but if anyone has a better idea, speak up.

Well the history lesson on pick em ups was interesting, but I still want some input on my project. I looked around a bit and found an article on setting up fuel injection from slantsix.org

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/bryan_long-fi/bryan_long-fi.htm

So I figured that is a good place to start. what i'm wondering is; Can I use a cheap-o 1-barrel intake off a volare, or is the offy the builder used necessary for the project? I was also wondering if I could use one of the older valve covers on a later motors. (a 60's ribbed cover on a '76 motor) I figure it would probably bolt on no problem, but what about the crankcase ventilation system?

I figured that when I rebuild the motor, since a turbo setup would be in the future, I would just go to a stock rebuild, but if anyone has a better idea, speak up.

Yeah do all the body work, paint, etc first before spending any money on a drivetrain. The only exception to that would be the rear end. That I would buy and make any mods I needed to but the engine and tranny would just "ideas" at this point. Why spend money to rebuild a motor to tear it back down and do it again? Spend the money once not twice.

at buddys boneyard last week. he'd drug in a 30 something truck body mounted to modern frame/chassis. work in progress. it is for sale.

Yeah do all the body work, paint, etc first before spending any money on a drivetrain. The only exception to that would be the rear end. That I would buy and make any mods I needed to but the engine and tranny would just "ideas" at this point. Why spend money to rebuild a motor to tear it back down and do it again? Spend the money once not twice.

Yeah, probably the best idea, right now I'm just saving cash and figuring out what to get first, theres a boneyard in mountain home with a couple older dart wagons, and one in wendell. What would be a decent price for a good, low to no rust '64 dart wagon? just so I know how much i'm getting screwed. I'm hoping for a manual six cylinder with no motor, just trans.

-
Back