Custom "Resonators"....CooooooooooLL

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
On the 67 Cuda, I installed a set of new Thrush "Welded Series" Chambered mufflers with a full 2.25" dual set-up, exiting with 2" outlets (273...didn't really need more than that.......just a bit over stock).

The Thrush sounded "OK", BUT they just weren't quite right.....a little raw sounding, a little hollow......SOoooo, I got some parts from Summit, and started fabricating.

I started with a set of shorty 8" 'Cherry Bomb' glasspacks.....2" ID in and out....Took an adaptor for 2" to 2.5" and chopped it down to about 3/4" on the big end so's to make a nice welding flange...... INSIDE the big end, I placed a 3/4" 2.5 pipe nipple that I cut, so that the new fabricated adaptor will fit NICELY inside the new "PYPES" Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust Tips......They're like the A-Body tips, but a little fatter (made for B's).......I wanted to tone down the mufflers a bit (a little softer "rumble"), and then add a little more throaty outlet.

The new resonator assembly will get welded up, finish painted, and then welded to the 2" tails. I have to raise the tails a little first though...hangin' a little low. I did this on my Dart Sport and it toned down the Flowmasters REALLY nice............Can't wait to hear 'em!! :toothy10:

Attachments

• 118_1849.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 118_1850.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 268
  • 118_1851.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 277
That looks like a great idea, I have some Powerstick chambered mufflers on my Duster that might be too loud once I drop in a hot 360. Do you think a 16" long canister muffler would fit in place of those 8" ones in your example?

What if you lost the adapter and welded the tip straight to the muffler, probably would look good? maybe paint the muffler black or silver.

This is a great idea, i think i will try this.

let me know if there is a reduction in sound

What if you lost the adapter and welded the tip straight to the muffler, probably would look good? maybe paint the muffler black or silver.

This is a great idea, i think i will try this.

let me know if there is a reduction in sound

I welded a 3" round tip directly on the glasspack for the exhaust on my Demon......When you looked into the tip, you saw a "double" outlet....sounded good, and really took the bite out of the Magnaflows that were on it.

This same basic set-up worked great on the Dart Sport. It deepens the sound, and removes any raspy hollow tinny sound that it might have with chambered mufflers.

That looks like a great idea, I have some Powerstick chambered mufflers on my Duster that might be too loud once I drop in a hot 360. Do you think a 16" long canister muffler would fit in place of those 8" ones in your example?

It's just a matter of clearance side to side between the springs and the tank, and making the full resonator first so you can perfectly set the desired length when hooking it to the tail. Measure 3 times, cut once....then Mig.

Here's one from the Demon project.........3" Chrome tip, cut to custom length, and welded over the bell of the glasspack.....you can see the tip of the glasspack peeking out.....Looked pretty cool........BUT, you can just cut that off so it appears like a full 3" exhaust.

Attachments

• 107_0742.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 238
-
Back