Custom Sanden compressor brackets for 1965 273

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
My case is unusual since I have the aluminum water pump on my 1965 273. I recently switched to a 1964-65 Offenhauser 4 bbl intake manifold since didn't want to have to re-spin an aft bracket later (had 360 4bbl Edelbrock intake on there). The crank damper is original, though the 3 slot crank pulley may be aftermarket to fit the Tecumseh compressor (like York) which I recall used the outside crank pulley slot. I thought of using that bracket w/ lighter York compressor, but that bracket had cracked (re-welded it) from the heavy cast Tecumseh and my alum water pump would have required modd'ing it.

I leveraged a fwd bracket I found on a ~1989 Ram Van w/ LA engine (pre-Magnum). The first photo is the junkyard van. I don't recall taking the aft bracket since unlikely compatible since bolted to TBI intake, plus I recall it was a C-181 compressor, not Sanden, so likely varied. The aft bracket I used came with a used chrome Sanden compressor bought years ago on ebay (Chevy?). To barely clear the T-stat housing, I used a "shorty" Sanden (7SDH13) which at least cools a Honda Civic. Bouchillon requires that for their BPE4735 brackets (1969 & down SBM). Mine barely clears the T-stat hose, but good-enough. BPE shows a 2-slot crank pulley, so don't know how the inner slot in their photo compares with mine. Other Sandens (H4, H15, ...) are 1" longer than the H13 shorty. To use the BPE brackets I would need to swap back to the 1965 cast-iron water pump which would give other issues already resolved (radiator, p.s.), plus they show a Saginaw p.s. pump which seems strange since I think TRW and Federal pumps were used in 1964-69. The BPE brackets cost $252 (on sale now), though trivial compared to slant-six brackets. Anyway, I had the brackets above and like being troublesome, so made 'em work.

The RamVan fwd bracket uses the 2 w.p. holes where the alternator mounts but I didn't want to fuss with relocating my alternator. Perhaps you can make out where Mopar stuck it (last photo). Instead, I made a cross bar from steel stock (Ace Hardware ~20 mil thick), which I could barely bend on my hydraulic ram and came out too far for the R w.p. boss so had to use 2 thick washers (Ace) to get back to the boss. I show the cross-bar held up to a cast-iron w.p. which has the bosses level so no need to bend, though need to grind to clear housing bulges (or space outward). If mounting to a cast-iron w.p. and using the same pulley slots as me, you might flip the bracket around so it leans forward, which would move the compressor 0.60" forward (0.30" offset) which would overcorrect slightly for the cast w.p. being 0.60" thick (boss to timing cover) vs 1.00" thick for alum w.p. In general, V-belts work OK up to 1/8" offset and more forgiving the longer the distance, so if the pulleys look eyeball-aligned they should work.

For an aft bracket, I bent the same stock into an L and attached to left fwd intake-head bolt and front boss on Offy intake. I bent a slight curve on the press to make stiffer, then milled flat spots for boss and bolt, so don't bend that unless you have a milling machine. I used the operating flat-rod from an old garage door opener (such scrap can be golden) to weld on ears to the intake bolt and Sanden pivot ear. I tapped a 3/8-24 hole for aft slot clamp bolt. Note that the curved slots in fwd and aft brackets are on a radius to the same Sanden ears, which keeps them matched as the compressor is rotated to tension the belt. You also need the slots oriented so moving makes the belt tighter. I lucked that the V-belt clears the water pump snout, so don't need an idler pulley to clear. With its own belt, the compressor has ample belt wrap on the pulleys.

An alternate would be to share the middle crank slot with the alternator and use it for tensioning, though that reduces belt wrap on AC compressor (possible slip and squeal). Better to use 2 shared belts for compressor and alternator, but wouldn't work w/ my crank pulley since the inner pulley is smaller. I could swap in a later crank pulley (have several), though might not align without changing crank damper (thicknesses vary), and likely other issues. BPE uses a solid compressor mount and uses the p.s. pulley to tension the belt.

20220213_061318.jpg

20220213_061354.jpg

20220213_111839.jpg

20220213_132659.jpg

20220213_144238.jpg

20220213_144312.jpg

318 RAM Van AC comp mount.jpg

Brackets I made for my Sanden on my 408 Magnum. Brackets started out from a mid-eighties truck small block.

IMG_4379.JPG

Installed running engine with Holley Sniper EFI.

IMG_4799.JPG

Looks good. Taking a Magnum back in time to V-belts. Easiest to mount the compressor solid and use the alternator as tensioner, as you do. Looks like 1-slot w.p. pulley shared with power steering pump.

I may add a Holley TBI eventually. I have their Commander 950 TBI on my 1965 Newport 383 and 2 extra ECU's and harnesses, but no extra Commander TB though have an older Holley Projection TB which can work (other than no IAC). Eventually, I'd like to install a Magnum beer-keg intake to get MPFI. I have one but will take CNC work to get studs to fit my 1965 heads (16 deg off vertical bolt angle). You could bolt a Magnum intake up directly, but the Sniper ECU is built inside their TB, so no way to leverage it.

Looks good. Taking a Magnum back in time to V-belts. Easiest to mount the compressor solid and use the alternator as tensioner, as you do. Looks like 1-slot w.p. pulley shared with power steering pump.

I may add a Holley TBI eventually. I have their Commander 950 TBI on my 1965 Newport 383 and 2 extra ECU's and harnesses, but no extra Commander TB though have an older Holley Projection TB which can work (other than no IAC). Eventually, I'd like to install a Magnum beer-keg intake to get MPFI. I have one but will take CNC work to get studs to fit my 1965 heads (16 deg off vertical bolt angle). You could bolt a Magnum intake up directly, but the Sniper ECU is built inside their TB, so no way to leverage it.

Although I went with FI. I wanted my engine to look period correct, hence the v-belts. Although I also wanted a smaller compressor, so compromised with a newer style compressor.

After these photos while plumbing the AC hoses, I decided to turn the compressor 90 deg to put the O-ring ports on the R side, as BPE suggests, to both shorten the runs and not worry about hood clearance. You can tilt a Sanden 90 deg either way until the fill port is on the side.

The rear slotted bracket might have been for a 1966-77 Ford Bronco, as I found that note with a Sanden compressor from Old Air I have on the shelf.

Last edited:
Update. After a few passes, the ideal V-belt was 11AV1120 (11 mmW = 0.433", 1120 mm long = 44.1"). I forgot if that length standard means the outside circumference (OC) or "average" (half-height). I was misled by that distinction on one belt I tried. Used Goodyear Gatorback 15484. The compressor bottoms out on the T-stat flange so can't access the lowest part of the slot, but enough to just slide the belt on and a 1" gap at other end when tight. If I did again, I might have the compressor inner pulley run on the middle crank pulley, as Bouchillon's brackets do. That might allow a slightly longer SD14 or SD15 to fully clear the T-stat housing, but perhaps requires a later crank damper (plus crank pulleys vary). Exactly where the T-stat sits might vary between intakes also. Also, the mid-pulley would need a different V-belt since it has a larger diameter. In sum, everyone's situation varies and few would have the thicker aluminum water pump on a 1965 engine like mine.
Dart AC compressor.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back