"Custom" Shift Linkage

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 74 dart sport that has a 318 and an automatic 727 from 1967. It originally had a slant-six and an automatic 904. As of now, the way the shift linkage is set up makes it so the needle on the gear indicator doesn't match up with the letters and it can't shift into first manually. I have the shift linkage from 1967 and 1974. Does anyone know of a way to make a fully functioning shift linkage? thanks.

You prob have to modify it. I had to move a tab on the bar to make mine from a slant to a bb trans.

The 904 uses a different linkage than a 727 if using factory stuff so your going to have to play with it or modify it.

I think the fsm states to set up the linkage adjustment with levers in neutral position.

If Park is where Park is supposed to be, but you can't manually shift to 1st, the linkage arm on the trans is too long.
Find one from a 904, or drill a second hole just inside the one you currently have, and you should be good to go

Ok. thank you. what does the linkage arm look like and where is it locate? also, I should add that the car started up perfectly before, but the last few days it doesn't el want to start up. last time, I had to move the shift lever around to get it to turn over, but now that won't even help. it won't start at all

If you can't find a spot at park or neutral where the neutral safety switch will close, the switch it self might be the no start fault. A pre 68 trans had a single function/single wire switch. The later model 3 wire switch doesn't work in this trans. Linkage adjustment wouldn't cure all the problems.
Many years ago, I put a late model 318 and 727 from a Tradesman van in our first 67 fish that was a slant 6 build. I had the same "can't manually get low gear" condition. That sort of cured itself when I installed the floor shifter.
All of us struggle with these sort of issues when dealing with mis-matched part. Good luck with yours.

the problem is the length of the torque shaft.A 727 is about an inch wider than a 904 so using the 904 piece may work but will bind (it's an inch too long between the operating levers).You need a column shift torque shaft from an A body sm blk with a 727,which is of course an inch shorter....they are very hard to find.You will also need the trans. bracket or i think you can mount the 904 piece below the tab to keep it level..can't remember.
you can make a new one but i believe the complete linkage you need is currently for sale in the parts section.
out of alignment is your adjustment

Last edited:
It turns out the problem was likely a dirty / faulty connection between the battery and solenoid. I cleaned the wire that was connected to the solenoid and battery and now it works fine. thank you

It turns out the problem was likely a dirty / faulty connection between the battery and solenoid. I cleaned the wire that was connected to the solenoid and battery and now it works fine. thank you

a wire prevented the shift indicator from lining up...and wouldn't allow it to go into gear?
And yes,a 904 torque shaft can sometimes be forced in and will work, but it won't be quite right...

The wire prevented it from turning over. It is still mis-aligned, but I will have to fix it the next time it is on a lift. It will be much easier to access then, since the headers won't be in the way so much .
a wire prevented the shift indicator from lining up...and wouldn't allow it to go into gear?
And yes,a 904 torque shaft can sometimes be forced in and will work, but it won't be quite right...

-
Back