custom tach question

-

scampy72

Reaction score
Hey all
i was pondering the other day (usually a bad thing) but anyway i was wondering if it is possible to turn the radio from my car into a tach. Was thinking of using the station needle as the tach needle. Anybody know of someone who could do this? Is this even a possibility? I just think it would be a cool unique touch for the car and it would clean up my custom guage cluster quite a bit. Any thoughts and/or help is always appreciated!
-marc

I don't see this as a viable project. You used to be able to buy "edge" meter movements, but they still rotate on an arc, so one end of the scale you would be looking "crosseyed" at it.

but would the gear or whatever turns the arc be able to be turned on its side so that it goes side to side instead?

Possibly, but it would still travel in an arc, so it would be closest in the middle, and far at the extreme ends of its travel.

I could be wrong here but I think at one time Dakota Digital listed a "ribbon" tach- LED would move across gauge face. With all the digital technology, shouldn't be that hard to do, just have to spend the time/money involved to have it done. Might try local tech/trade /community colleges for help. Does sound like kind of a neat idea though, good luck with it, keep us posted.

cool thanks ill look into the dakota one jim

tony wouldnt the one you posted still have the arc problem or did i miss an article or something along with it?

Here's my issue with this idea. The gauges are in front of the driver for a reason and the radio is halfway across the car for a reason. So you DON'T have your eyes farther away from the road than they have to be. For some people like you, this may not be an issue. But for people who don't wanna have to look waaaaaaaaaaaaay over there for there tach...

EDIT: Still a cool Idea, im not knockin' it. Just wouldn't like it on my car.

i could always move the radio, just think the idea would be cool to have. also id have a 727 auto and would be looking at the tach all the time anyway, thats why i had the idea in the first place, if i was going with a 4 speed i wouldnt even think of doing it.

-
Back