customers ....ugghhh

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is just the class of clientele I am dealing with here which are mostly female college students from my former university but WOW.

Is car education that low among the average non- car person? I would think some of it is common sense.

People are hearing noises and choosing to ignore them until they are a huge problem!!

Some of the customer stuff I have been getting through the door is showing that people are taking the idea of "driving the wheels off" literal.

Is it just me dealing with it or have those who turn wrenches for a living seen this kind of stuff before.

Attachments

• CIMG4957.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 356
  • CIMG4955.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 366
  • CIMG4962.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 368
  • CIMG4958.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 373
  • CIMG4959.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 353
after my customer cars get Ranified ......much better :glasses7:

Attachments

• CIMG4951.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 355
  • CIMG4961.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 373
Pretty normal. When I worked for a local tire company years ago as their alignment mechanic, one of the managers came and got me and said "man you gotta see this..."

They were sellin some ghetto tires and wheels to this brutha out front. On the left front of his car, there was no rotor, no caliper and a pair of vise grips had the brake hose clamped off. We asked him if he wanted his brakes fixed. He said "naw, jes put mah tahs and weez on, yo"

It's amazing the things ignorant people will do... :color:

When we were driving age teens, my brother and I worked at a 10 min oil change. One day a guy came in and asked my brother to grease his brake pads (they were making a squealing noise)... :pale:

When my brother said, "No." :protest:

The guy asked, "Why?" :???:

My brother then told him, "Then you wouldn't be able to stop..." #-o

Be careful, look into liability insurance, people to tend to blame the last person to touch the car if there is an issue, you change the oil and the break light goes out; your fault. Why I don't wrench anymore.

Stupidity and ignorance abound among 'the general driving public'.

Years ago did a brake job on a 3/4 ton Ford Van.Customer said light on dash has been on "for a while" and it makes a grinding noise and shakes when I step on the brakes.All that was left of the rotors in front were the "fins" between the pad surfaces.I was shocked it even stopped or that they didn't lock up. Many drivers know nothing past turn the key on and go till it won't any more.

Have you seen em drive??? That should tell you their level of automotive saavy!!! No -existent!!!

YAll that was left of the rotors in front were the "fins" .

Somebody posted photos. I had thought they were kidding. You can actually find all kinds of these on Google image search

rotor.jpg

54928d1347661473-brakes-worn-out-pic-worn_out_brake_rotor.jpg

Seen that before too and the customer said "oh it was stopping fine"

come on guys (and gall)

if you pay good money for a 26 inch tire you don't really expect me to pitch it with still 24 inches left ?

Rani, the answer to your post is "YES! People are stupid!!!!"

Do not educate them!!!!
Just tell'em to come on back if they need another repair, after there cash hits your hand!
From the been there done that camp, you go girl! Make that money!

And then you get the ones that say stuff like, "My transmission was shifting fine till you put washer fluid in my car!"

And then you get the ones that say stuff like, "My transmission was shifting fine till you put washer fluid in my car!"

so far the only problem I have had from a customer was from her dad.

Most of my work comes from word of mouth from my former university. Girls tend to think a girl mechanic wont rip off another girl. :???:

But anyways I had a customer come and her front brakes were trashed and the rotors were toast so I told her the only way is to replace the rotors because I wont turn them and I surely wont "pad slap" them in that condition. Her dad comes the next day and he is quizzing me with car questions and asks what I have into parts and how much am I marking up and crazy stuff.

He takes the car to two other shops and they told him the same thing about the rotors being too far gone and gets their quotes.

He ended up bringing it back and I did the job LOL

Guy is an *** Rani, plain and simple.

Guy is an *** Rani, plain and simple.

I call bs on that statement. You're telling me you just walk up and buy anything (new/used car, phone, tv, washer, etc) without askin questions let alone getting a quote for any service?
All I can say a fool and their money soon part, just sayin.
Now yeah I will ask probing questions in regards to stuff just to see if the people/person really know what they are talking (you want any joe blow moron touching you stuff) about plain and simple.
All that said I will always try to get a discount no matter what I'm doing/buying (saves me money) it could be a couple of bucks or a lot more depending on what I'm buying. Hell I'll even buy the parts and have them install them if it saves me money.
Point is the guy may have come off as an *** but nothing you yourself wouldn't do is all I'm sayin.
Keep cool and :burnout:

He takes the car to two other shops and they told him the same thing about the rotors being too far gone and gets their quotes.

He ended up bringing it back and I did the job LOL

I used to get that sometimes in my "previous life" doing HVAC/R service. Quite often, "I was back" doing the repair. We had a pretty fair reputation then, but there WERE "problems."

I was in a house once with an oil furnace, and problems with the stack and chimney. It wasn't drafting correctly, and the chimney liner was broken up. Worse, a remodel had left part of the connector way too close to wooden structure.

The homeowner was giving me a hard time. he didn't want to fix it, claimed it 'worked fine.'

I said, "I notice a lot of kids are here." (They were running what amounts to an unlicensed neighborhood child care, something that Idaho wasn't big on enforcing then) "Do you really want to risk their well-being?"

He finally decided to fix it..........but bitched.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, We are surrounded by F'ing Idiots.

Jeff

Pretty normal. When I worked for a local tire company years ago as their alignment mechanic, one of the managers came and got me and said "man you gotta see this..."

They were sellin some ghetto tires and wheels to this brutha out front. On the left front of his car, there was no rotor, no caliper and a pair of vise grips had the brake hose clamped off. We asked him if he wanted his brakes fixed. He said "naw, jes put mah tahs and weez on, yo"

this cracks me up thanks for the chuckle .

I call bs on that statement. You're telling me you just walk up and buy anything (new/used car, phone, tv, washer, etc) without askin questions let alone getting a quote for any service?
All I can say a fool and their money soon part, just sayin.
Now yeah I will ask probing questions in regards to stuff just to see if the people/person really know what they are talking (you want any joe blow moron touching you stuff) about plain and simple.
All that said I will always try to get a discount no matter what I'm doing/buying (saves me money) it could be a couple of bucks or a lot more depending on what I'm buying. Hell I'll even buy the parts and have them install them if it saves me money.
Point is the guy may have come off as an *** but nothing you yourself wouldn't do is all I'm sayin.
Keep cool and :burnout:
I said that because how many times do you take your car elsewhere for estimates? Especially for brakes? I stand by my statement cause he probably looked at her and said hell no, this girl ain't got a clue what she's doing.

Guy drives up and ask me how much I charged to change oil if he had his own supplies. He then said he only needed filter changed, he tried to get it off at home but wasn't successful.

I asked him if he wanted to drain oil also, he replied he did that at home but couldn't get filter off...

He then produced the oil he wanted me to put in it!

-
Back