Cut-outs

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Question. Do cut-outs that allow you to switch from muffled to open headers really affect the performance much? I've seen hotrodders and racers put these things on and claim they make 30-40 hp more, which I doubt but has anyone actually dyno'd or ET tested these things?

to some degree it depends on the muffled system - but by and large, yes. Open headers have less restriction than running a muffled exhaust. With that said, I ran 3" front to back off of TTi headers and the only real difference I have notice is noise level - still goes like crazy..

to some degree it depends on the muffled system - but by and large, yes. Open headers have less restriction than running a muffled exhaust. With that said, I ran 3" front to back off of TTi headers and the only real difference I have notice is noise level - still goes like crazy..

I get that, but is it enough to justify doing is my question... granted they arent very expensive

OIC - well, I used Warlock race mufflers so the cut outs are already there - If you plan to race it and open headers are allowed, I would suggest doing it - everything I have ever read on the subject suggests you'll gain a tenth or two of ET and a faster speed running open headers.. I will say that I personally do not have any practical experience on the subject as the only open headers I have ever run were on a 78 Trailduster - but I love the sound of open headers!!

Any open exhaust will produce less bottom end torque on the street than going through a good HP exhaust system. Cut outs are all about noise.

If you buy cutouts don't expect drastic changes in power.

It's definitely something you do for the fun factor. I have a set of 3" QTP cutouts and I like them a lot. I didn't notice much of a difference in performance but noticed a huge difference in loudness.

Any open exhaust will produce less bottom end torque on the street than going through a good HP exhaust system. Cut outs are all about noise.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to run closed exhaust until a certain RPM and then open them (maybe on the 1-2 shift) ?
depending on the converter, there may be some bottom end power on tap ?

ultimately I think your best bet is to do some testing yourself - try it with, try it without.. be interested to know what comes of it too.

ultimately I think your best bet is to do some testing yourself - try it with, try it without.. be interested to know what comes of it too.

i may just do that. I have access to a chassis dyno.....

-
Back