Cut the back window out?

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I'm currently battling with the removal of my back window. Should I just save myself the trouble and risk of breaking the back window and cut the gasket or should this be doable?

If it's an old gasket I'd cut it. I saved mine and reinstalled and it leaks. Bought a new that I have to install. Much softer and pliable being new.

The only reason I'd try to save it is if new ones are no longer available. Some are next to impossible to find. Otherwise, cut it and save yourself a lot of grief.

Ok it will go the way of my torsion bars :) (bought used ones for $40 and saved myself a big hassle)

What vehicle? As mentioned, if good reproduction ones are available, cut the old one for ease of glass removal. Back glasses are tempered and pretty tough though. If your seal is still pliable and reusable, working it and the glass out of the frame is not all that hard on most models. Just don't pry on the glass with hard tools. I like to work the rubber gasket over the frame lip with a putty knife while giving the glass a slight steady push with my shoulder.

it took about 1/2 hr to cut it out and clean it up. Its not in the best shape. I should have inspected it closer as it would have been better to save the gasket and break the window.

-
Back