Cut to fit push rods

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok I need a little schooling here. The project Barracuda I bought that came with a new 416 stroker small block, came with a set of 5/16 Smith Brother cut to fit push rods. Now I'm up on how long the push rods need to be. What I need help on is how to actually cut and press in the cup end of the push rod?

After marking them I rough cut mine off with a hacksaw a little long. Then trimmed them to the mark,in a lathe.My mopar ends were not particularly tight. I loc-tited them in and bopped them in with a mallet.They are still in the engine at 125,000miles

Thanks, I'm waiting on a push rod checker from comp and then I'll give them a shot at making them.

Comp Cams has a press tool and special sized drill bit to assemble them with. I just never got around to making my own set yet because I need to get someone to accurately cut them to length before drilling and assembling.

Here is my write-up on making them, complete with pix. No need to get them cut by someone else: cut with a hacksaw a bit long and then finish to exact length in a drill on a grinding wheel. I would not bother with the Comp special drill as we found the press in stems to be too variable in size to use just one bit; details are in the text. (I am assuming the Smith Brothers sets press fit the same way.)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=330026

Here is my write-up on making them, complete with pix. No need to get them cut by someone else: cut with a hacksaw a bit long and then finish to exact length in a drill on a grinding wheel. I would not bother with the Comp special drill as we found the press in stems to be too variable in size to use just one bit; details are in the text. (I am assuming the Smith Brothers sets press fit the same way.)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=330026

Thanks, that should help me out. Good write up you did.

-
Back