Cutting axles?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a housing that is 1/2 narrower than a stock A body housing.Can I cut axles with a chop saw and tapper the end of the axles with a grinder.I need to cut about a 1/4 - 3/8 of each axle.

I don't know why not, as long as there are enough splines left to allow it to seat all the way.

are u going to use the stock adjustable axle bearings, if so u need to get the length very accurate

I have a housing that is 1/2 narrower than a stock A body housing.Can I cut axles with a chop saw and tapper the end of the axles with a grinder.I need to cut about a 1/4 - 3/8 of each axle.

are u going to use the stock adjustable axle bearings, if so u need to get the length very accurate

You cannot do this with tapered bearings. The ends of the axles are a machined finish and bear against the thrust button in the third member.

You CAN do so if you are using some rendition of "green" ball bearings

A cut off wheel will create a lot of heat especially cutting something as thick as an axle. It would be better to use a band saw with coolant so you don't take any of the hardness out of the splines. You could probably use a reciprocating saw if you could get somebody to squirt a little cutting oil on there as you cut to keep the temperature down. The Lenox "GOLD" reciprocating blades can cut through hard metal and even stainless. They last 10 times longer than the regular bi-metal blades.
Maybe someone else can get more specific about taking the temper out of the splines if they get too hot!!!

Treblig

It would be better to use a band saw with coolant so you don't take any of the hardness out of the splines.

YES. With a nice slow rate of drop.

Marco and 67 both have good points about the tapered bearings. It would probably be better to switch to the greens, because if you don't get them cut precisely, your axle end play adjustment could be a booger to find.

I bought a pair of axles from Moser about 10 years ago that were 1/4" too long. When I called them, they said just cut them down with a chop saw or angle grinder. I ended up using an angle grinder and hitting the edge with a flap disc to put a slight bevel in the splines. They worked fine. Use whatever you have on hand.

That machined finish on the end for the thrust button is not as critical as some would suggest. If you spend a lot of time one wheel peeling or going in circles you may wear of a few thousandths truing things up after a year or two..... Just polish up your finished cut with some 220 emery cloth glued to a die grinder pad and all will be fine.

-
Back