Cutting down an 8 3/4

-

busboy

Reaction score
I've got an 8 3/4, truck I think. I want to cut it down to a-body size. When I look inside the stock ends there is a small step down in the ID before you get to the axle tube ID. After the stock ends are cut off, I have the moser ends to weld on. It looks like there will be no step down between the moser ends and the axle tube. Will that be ok like that, or did I miss something? Any help much appreciated.

i am trying to picture what you are doing.... are you referring to the step on th inside diametes where the bearings sit ?

-RPM

I had an 8 3/4 under my truck, I think you may be talking about where the seal goes. Mine had the tapered bearings.

The new housing ends should have the bearing and seal area as part of them. BTW, you do have the jig to properly place the new ends, right? Dont even think of doing it without the jig, unless you like buying gear oil, brake parts, and axle seals...

Hey guys, except for the "70" 340 4-speed Dart Swinger I had back in "72", I'm new to this "A" body thing.

Just what is required as far as narrowing an 8 3/4" rear? How much needs to be taken out? Are the spring mount different & do they have to be relocated?

I have information that there are several 8 3/4" rears from trucks in a local junk yard. I'm hoping to find a 742 to put in my son's "65" Valiant.

From this thread I take it these will have to be narrowed.

If anyone is interested I narrow rearend housings and install all brackets, spring pads, etc. before welding the housing ends on because welding on a housing will distort it. I will narrow an 8 3/4 to any width for $225 and I supply the housing and spring pads. I have a Chris Alston Chassisworks housing jig.

If you want aftermarket ends put on, you can send me those and I will put them om also for you.

I have the pieces to narrow the following rears; Mopar 8 3/4, Dana 60, Chevy 12 bolt, '56-'64 Olds, Ford 9" & 8.8

busboy, how you can tell a truck/van rear is the spring pads are on top of the axle housing while cars are on the bottom.

Chuck

I believe that's what I am talking about RPM. The Moser ends that I have are the same ID all the way through. Thanks Chuck, I'd take you up on your offer if I wasn't on the other side of the country, cause I do need the perches relocated as well!

-
Back