Cutting up a rear axle.

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have chance you get a decent deal on a Truck Dana 60 so I am trying to do a little research on using this axle. I have emailed moser and strange to inquire on there expertise but was hoping someone could provide links as well. I have searching the board but find mostly threads discussing advantages/disadvantages between the 8 3/4 and the dana.

Do anyone have a tech guide for measuring, building and installing a Dana in their car? My searching hasn't turned up such a thread yet.

Thanks,
Ryan

Truck Dana's work fine in our cars.

You make the drivers side axle tube 1 3/8" longer than pass side to get proper mopar pinion offset.

Side gears in the carrier may be strange, like 16 spline. You can get side gears to change the related axle spline if it has a sure grip in it. If you are going to spool it, never mind about this one.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates your housing length based on what you need for total width from wheel mount - wheel mount.

Im assume thats the same measurement for the 8 3/4. 1 3/8"

Nope. 8.75's the pumpkin takes up the pinion offset. Tubes are equi-length from axle housing centerline.

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, send me an e-mail to:
robule1 at yahoo dot com

In the subject line put "axle length spreadsheet" and I'll shoot you a copy.

It will compute total length of housing required for D60 and both brake packages for 8.75's.

hey cracked. i am just looking at the spread sheet you emailed me. i am a little confused the total axle lengths widths you have down. how come you have the dana's total length 9.45" shorter than the 8 3/4? Have you done this for a certain tire/wheel combination? I am still unclear.

Should a guy start at the tire/wheel combo of choice and work backwards?

What numbers are you asking about.

If it's the tube length number, that's the length from insertion point at the center section to flange. Take those two tube length numbers and add 17.5" to it. The total should equal the housing number above just below the blue cell.

You really need to know how long you want the rear end in total, put that number into the blue cell and it will give you the total housing length, tube lengths and axle lengths.

If you go to the wheel offset tab, mess around there. It will get you close depending on wheel width, minitub or not, springs moved or not... It's not perfect, but will get you an idea.

Best to get your wheels and tires, center them in wells and measure.

I was talking about the measurements you had in blue. But I think I get it now. You have the spread sheet set up as a calculator. The number that were posted in it where just measurement you were calculating and not measurement I require. Clear as mud.

Yes, each blue cell is independent of the other.

Been there done that its not bad. Matter of fact Rob helped me out quite a bit to get that thing ready. He is right some of the early ones have 16 spline axles. I got about 800 or so in mine and thats. Which i dont believe is too bad.

I have a a body housing. I was going to use a sure grip clutch center ot of a truck. Th splines on the axles from the truck are the same as a 8 3/4. The truck axle fits the 8 3/4 center . I can provide pis if needed . The total lenght of my DC a-body dana housing is 55. The pads are 43 center to center. I asked the guy I got the housing from and he said the dana car axles are alot larger 35 spline. Whats up with That? Can I use two different length 8 3/4 axles from Moser with this center from the truck. Or should I get the larger gears for the center.? Anyone run into this?

All 8.75 rears should be 30 spline axle, truck or car. Haven't seen 35 spline side gears for an 8.75. You can spool it and get an 8.75 to 35 spline.

That 55" housing is likely a B body housing if it 55" for just the housing, see below. If it's total width, wheel mount to wheel mount, then it's something different.

Dana's in cars ran 23 and 35 spline depending on years with Power lock or trak-lok sure grips. Trucks came with all sorts of spline counts, 16, 23, 30, 35.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'66 B-body 54 1/4" housing, 59 3/8" axle flange to flange, 44" perch 23 spline power-lock sure-grip, 1330 U-bolt yoke

'67 B-body 54 1/4" housing, 59 3/8" axle flange to flange, 44" perch 23 spline power-lock sure-grip, 1330 strap yoke

'68-'69 B-body 54 15/16" housing, 60 1/16" axle flange to flange, 44" perch, 23 spline power-lock sure-grip, 7290 yoke

'70 B-body 54 15/16" housing, 60 1/16" axle flange to flange, 44" perch, 35 spline power-lock sure-grip, 7290 yoke

'71-'72 B-body 57 7/8" housing, 63" axle flange to flange, 47.3" perch, 35 spline track-lock sure-grip, 7290 yoke

'70 E-body 56 31/64" housing, 61 5/8" axle flange to flange, 46" perch, 35 spline power-lock sure-grip, 7290 yoke

'71 E-body 56 31/64" housing, 61 5/8" axle flange to flange, 46" perch, 35 spline track-lock sure-grip, 7290 yoke

-
Back