Cylinder carbon ridge removal

-

Duane

Reaction score
I need to tear down my engine to change some components. The engine has no cylinder ridge from wear, but there is a carbon ridge. I want to re use my piston rings and do not want to damage them when removing the piston/rod assemblies.
What is the easiest way to remove the carbon buildup. Is there a chemical that will dissolve it or something.

Duane

I bet a dollar it is more than carbon. I use a ridge reamer to remove either if I am concerned with reusing rings.

Rotate the engine by hand so that each individual piston is down in the bore as you work on that cylinder, and hit the tops of the cylinders with a ridge reamer. Won't take much on each cylinder with only carbon buildup.

I use a wire wheel on a drill to remove any carbon deposits. 4" wheel will work on 318, 340, 360.

If there is no ridge and only carbon 220 sandpaper and spray gumout will do the job

Yes I looked at the bores again last night. There is no wear ridge. In fact even the carbon ridge is not uniform all the way around the bore. I only ran the motor about 35 quarter mile runs since the last block hone so just not enough wear.
I am tearing the motor down to beef up the connecting rods because of an anticipated major horsepower increase, not because the motor needs refreshing.

Thanks for the tips.

Duane

If it was me; I'd take a green scotch-brite pad, carb cleaner, WD-40, PB Blaster, light oil (something to disolve the carbon) and scrub it out. No metal removal, no harm done, just a clean spot. Then you can see what you're looking at.

If all it is is carbon, I'd just scrape it out with my pocketknife.

-
Back