Cylinder de-carbonizing

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Has anyone used a good de-carbonizer product that they like and can recommend? I've always just run an engine at 2500 RPM and run a bottle of water slowly through the intake. Are the de-carbonizers better at removing the carbon, or, just a sales gimmick?

Way back I use to use aft, same thing just pour a bit down the carb with engine running, keep the rpms up and pour a but more, just used the cap from the bottle, smoked out my auto shop in high school, it was on a 360.

Seafoam

Works good on engines where carbon is building up around the piston rings.

#1 Process:
Add a pint of seafoam to your existing engine oil. Take the car out for a 30 minute run and warm it up. Then park the car for a week and let the seafoam work.

Fire up and warm up again, then change out oil and filter to your regular oil. Drain oil will be black from carbon.

#2 Process:

Pull spark plugs and put 1 ounce of seafoam in each cylinder. Let it sit for 2 weeks. Can have the oil drained with the drain plug out.

Use a catch pan to catch the black carbon that is dripping down the cylinder walls and out the oil pan drain plug.

What is coming out will look like black paint.

Fresh oil and filter, take the car out and warm it up again.

Good to Go.

Helps to free up carboned up piston rings. Better compression and less oil consumption.

☆☆☆☆☆

I'm not concerned about sticky rings or oil consumption. Just trying to reduce compression ratio a bit to reduce compression chamber temp to hopefully help pass smog test. Having to have the vehicle sit for days/weeks isn't an option.

Seafoam works well as does Marvel's Mystery oil, Dexron ATF and water shouldn't be overlooked.

Run Race fuel for the smog test with methanol or nitro methane mixed if needed. Shuts the engine light off on my explorer every year. Run the car empty and put a gallon or two in. After smog test fill it with regular

I've always wondered about the effect of using different fuels vs what readings you would get on the sniffer. I know CNG burns real clean, but, what about some 100 octane race fuel, or, premium vs regular? I would think if you had a lower burning temp fuel, it would help on the Nox reading. Has anyone actually ran a test doing different fuels with the same engine?

-
Back