cylinder head question

-

n8ling

Reaction score
I've stumbled across a set of heads stamped 360 4027396, I noticed they have dual valve springs. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can run these #'s or has any info. As far as I know the 360 heads needed to be machined to accept dual springs. I only had a quick look and didn't see any J or X, but they were pretty dirty and didn't want to seem to interested as they might be free maybe

I show a 4027596 as a a 1977-86 360 head, maybe the "3" on your head is a "5". Also sometimes people mistake dampeners as a second spring, it might be that.

I have a set of 596s on my motor now - same as any other later model J type head with the smogger exhaust holes below the exhaust exit port.
Seem to work fine for me.

I have a set also. Should those holes be plugged if no smog pump is being used?

bongy337 said:
I have a set also. Should those holes be plugged if no smog pump is being used?
If you have the manifolds that cover the holes you are ok, but if you use manifolds or headers that leave the hole exposed you will need to plug them or they will leak exhaust.

yeah i got some on the bench out in the garage nothing too special but they are decent heads the heads that came factory with dampeners were 4 bbl motors usually

Sorry that was my fault took the 5 for a 3, anyways I didn't see J stamped on them any where and if so is there any real advantage to them ( unless machined) as opposed to my stock heads #3769974 Thanks 4 the help

hey the 360 heads may be smog heads--if so the valves are 2.02/1.60 the same as an x head--put a set on my car --had to have the machine work done and ported and polished them myself--put on a new set of dyno max headers and she came alive--also installed stainless valves and it already had a 508 purple shaft cam--she's good to go now--also installed adjustable rockers and new pushrods--any questions i'll try to answer them for you--good luck!!!!

Are you sure that they are dual springs, and not single spring with a damper???

Those are "smog heads"..got a set rusting away as a door stop not good for anything else..

lol Thread was revived after almost 9 years! Post #8 was from 2009.

#-o
Darn! I gotta watch myself. That's the second time recently that I've flipped 6/9!
I must be more tired/stressed than I realize. At least my math skills haven't been affected.

-
Back