D Dart package ?

-
Do remember what track you ran in Norfolk? I don't remember a track there, but Suffolk and Creeds were close by.
It may have been Suffolk. I was attending an NCR Service School in Portsmouth and I recall it was a bit of a drive.

Super cool story! I cut my teeth at Suffolk, and it was a hike from Yorktown where I lived for 40 plus years. They closed the track years ago because the airport next to it wanted the runway back. Sad.
I met a man this weekend at my Norton Club Christmas party, Boris L, and he has a 71 Duster with a 426 Hemi. He knows the fellow here in Dallas who owns the White and Red D Dart. Small world!
Original.jpg

Super cool story! I cut my teeth at Suffolk, and it was a hike from Yorktown where I lived for 40 plus years. They closed the track years ago because the airport next to it wanted the runway back. Sad.
I met a man this weekend at my Norton Club Christmas party, Boris L, and he has a 71 Duster with a 426 Hemi. He knows the fellow here in Dallas who owns the White and Red D Dart. Small world!
View attachment 1715267575
This is Tracey Robinson's car. He is a member here. Tracey owns Robinson Restoration and Service, LLC in Denton, Texas. Tracey and Shelly, his wife, race it in the vintage road racing series in Texas and Oklahoma. This is a true D/Dart, #33 of the 50 cars built. There are some shots of the car racing on Tracey's Facebook account.

At some point the 8-3/4 became available with a four speed and 235hp/273. that might have been in the '65 model year, but it was not in all of them. My old '66 Commando four speed Barracuda (October 1965 SPD) had a 7-1/4 until I broke an axle. The previous owner had broken the other axle and two sets of spider gears in the five year he had the car. I was not going to have that problem again.

Attachments

• NHRALetter.pdf
    181.7 KB · Views: 212
View attachment 1715267575
It was an old runway, I remember that, so it must have been Suffolk.
I have a picture of me getting spanked off the line by a '66 442. I'll post it if i can find it.
Problem with the open rear and cheater slick setup I had was that if the right rear broke traction, it wasn't going to be a good run. Lot of trial and error finding the right L-R tire pressures to get a good launch. If I'd had a limited slip rear, I'm sure I could have been in the 14.5 range.

A small website with D-Dart program, specs, a registry, then and now photos (including the Ferris Miles road race one pictured above).
ddart2

Well there were a few old airfields like a lot of other areas after WWII. I ran an SCCA race at a place called Fentress Field and that was in Chesapeake VA, another long hike from Norfolk. I am sure you look back on those times at the track and smile. I remember learning as we went and having a great time.

A small website with D-Dart program, specs, a registry, then and now photos (including the Ferris Miles road race one pictured above).
ddart2
Yep. That's @ddartdude 's site. Interesting stuff. I should talk to him about any cars coming up for sale. I would sell my two cars to own one!

Yep. That's @ddartdude 's site. Interesting stuff. I should talk to him about any cars coming up for sale. I would sell my two cars to own one!
It's actually Alan Lewis' site. I'm just a contributor. I think we did a pretty good job documenting them.

Don't know of any that are coming up for sale. There are 11 in my registry that are still around. The one that Jadaharabi mentioned is not in my registry. So maybe 12. When the San Rafael car came up for sale, I bought it site unseen. Told the wife that I would get rid of my 64 Belvedere if I bought it. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. Not the correct engine but it's in great shape. I'll let you know if any come up for sale..

It's actually Alan Lewis' site. I'm just a contributor. I think we did a pretty good job documenting them.

Don't know of any that are coming up for sale. There are 11 in my registry that are still around. The one that Jadaharabi mentioned is not in my registry. So maybe 12. When the San Rafael car came up for sale, I bought it site unseen. Told the wife that I would get rid of my 64 Belvedere if I bought it. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. Not the correct engine but it's in great shape. I'll let you know if any come up for sale..
Please do. Keep me in the loop. Did you sell your Belvedere?

Please do. Keep me in the loop. Did you sell your Belvedere?
Yes I did. Sold it the end of Sept. It was a project car that I got back in the late 1990's. My lack of ambition forced me to sell it. Had 3 projects at one time. Had to ship all 3 cars, plus parts down here to Florida when I retired. It was a 426 street wedge, 4-speed car with the original drivetrain. Red over white with a red bench seat interior. D/Dart or Belvedere? Which would you take?

I will see if I can get all the info on Andersons Dart. It will be a while I'll have to visit his brother in decatur to get his number.

Yes I did. Sold it the end of Sept. It was a project car that I got back in the late 1990's. My lack of ambition forced me to sell it. Had 3 projects at one time. Had to ship all 3 cars, plus parts down here to Florida when I retired. It was a 426 street wedge, 4-speed car with the original drivetrain. Red over white with a red bench seat interior. D/Dart or Belvedere? Which would you take?
Dang, tough call.

I almost had a chance to buy the San Rafael car. Dana wasn't sure he wanted a four speed car. In the end I'm glad it didn't happen. I think I would have regretted selling the GTS convertible to buy it. Around that same time Dana bought an LS-5 1970 El Camino and also had a '70 Hemi Charger that he had bought new. It was an interesting little collection.

It was an old runway, I remember that, so it must have been Suffolk.
I have a picture of me getting spanked off the line by a '66 442. I'll post it if i can find it.
Problem with the open rear and cheater slick setup I had was that if the right rear broke traction, it wasn't going to be a good run. Lot of trial and error finding the right L-R tire pressures to get a good launch. If I'd had a limited slip rear, I'm sure I could have been in the 14.5 range.

Here's that photo of me getting spanked rather badly off the line at the Suffolk Dragway:
65 Dart in Suffolk, VA 1966.jpg

Thanks for sharing the Suffolk Photo. Here is me right around the same spot, years later. Second picture is Suffolk today, SAD.
Suffolk_440_4.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG

Been contemplating building a D-Dart tribute car for a number of years. There is a 1966 /6 Dart close by, that I have been tempted to pull the trigger on. This is what I would be shooting for.

1966_Dodge_DDartSuperStock1.jpg

1966_Dodge_DDartSuperStock3.jpg

Bad day at the drag strip ain't so bad. I still think you look like you are catching him!

A friend Dave Reitz told us that the Bob Banning car from Hyattsville MD was sold with a slant six and automatic when they finished with it. wonder what happened to original engine and four speed

A friend Dave Reitz told us that the Bob Banning car from Hyattsville MD was sold with a slant six and automatic when they finished with it. wonder what happened to original engine and four speed

I want to say the engine went to NY. I think the car may have been sold with a 318 in it. I'll have to check my notes. I believe this car is currently in PA. Bob Banning Jr learned how to drag race in this car.

Banning Dodge received 3 D/Darts. The one in post 43 was the last of the 3. It was sold to a solder stationed it the DC area. He raced it occasionally at the local track in the DC area. I have the original headers from this car along with the 3778 carb, carb spacer, air cleaner and choke cable assembly.

I want to say the engine went to NY. I think the car may have been sold with a 318 in it. I'll have to check my notes. I believe this car is currently in PA. Bob Banning Jr learned how to drag race in this car.

Banning Dodge received 3 D/Darts. The one in post 43 was the last of the 3. It was sold to a solder stationed it the DC area. He raced it occasionally at the local track in the DC area. I have the original headers from this car along with the 3778 carb, carb spacer, air cleaner and choke cable assembly.
Sweet- Dave told us at one time their car was the quickest one ....

-
Back