D.O.T. slicks will not pass

-

68dodge

Reaction score
My son took his car to get inspected, the guy doing the inspection was going to put a inspection sticker on the car but his manager would not let him. He said the D.O.T. ET Street radials are not legal. Do you believe this. I will never go to them again.

Is this a state inspection or a track inspection?

ET Streets are DOT approved, but it says right on the sidewall that they are not for highway use....

I don't think I would take my car through the line for state inspection with slicks on it. LOL!

what the hell its dot legal

where I work we do inspection and when we those tire the guy can have the ticket except if they are wear out

D.O.T. is "Department Of Transportation" I thought that was the whole point of buying them! They were a street legal tire with decent traction. If they aren't street legal, why not just get a nice set of slicks and be done with it?

and possibly get pulled over then fined? It's not easy as hiding the fact you ripped a CAT off the pipes.... Though it's a bit stupid to say they're dot legal, yet not allow them to pass. Crazy.

The point was to have sticky tires to compete in classes that required a DOT tire at the racetrack.

What's the minimum tread depth rule in your state? Do the ET Streets meet that? (no they don't, I know already). Regular street tires are not street legal at the 1/16 either.

As far as getting pulled over, yeah well, its a danger. You get a cop who's wife told him he has a little pecker that morning, and you'll be hating it. Otherwise, I expect you'd be fine. At least Ive never been pulled over running them.

If you're really worried about that, get a sportsman pro.

As far as getting pulled over, yeah well, its a danger. You get a cop who's wife told him he has a little pecker that morning, and you'll be hating it.
LOL. I have been running drag radials on the street for a while. Sounds like you need a hook up with your inspections.

Lol........ woo, that's a bad day. I've only ever had a cop pull me over once and that was for "cutting through bussiness district to avoid stop-light" always seen my dad do it, never assumed it was illegal, thought it was a bit of a grey line. Apparently not..

As for DOT slicks, neat things I learn everyday.

My son took his car to get inspected, the guy doing the inspection was going to put a inspection sticker on the car but his manager would not let him. He said the D.O.T. ET Street radials are not legal. Do you believe this. I will never go to them again.

They would only last a few thousand miles as a full time street tire anyway...... Like mentioned above, just get the cheapest set of craptastic street tires for the rear and Mr. Lawman won't have anything to ***** about.

Each state had rules that can be different than the next state, here it is TDOT (Tennessee Dept of Transportation). Some places in Tenn your car must be inspected yearly. Some areas have no inspection. Same state laws apply just money hungry citys
add laws to get your money. Pollution, sound, wipers, seatbelts, tire tread, etc, etc.

I just don't get this. Poor tires for the street or not, the whole IDEA of "DOT approved is to specify that something is legal for use on public roads.

How in hell can something be DOT approved and "not legal?"

move to Michigan, the whole state has no smog or safety checks for any cars or trucks. How fast you wanna go comes down to how much money you wanna spend.

Here is an update, took it to another garage for inspection, certified inspection mechanic said they are legal to run because they are D.O.T. approved. car was passed and sticker was put on. Other garage was being a jerk with my son.

State inspections are a money making racket. A friend of mine owns a really good auto repair shop across the state line in Idaho where they don't have a state inspection. He claims that the cars that he repairs in Idaho are no worse than the cars in Utah that has a safety inspection. My conclusion is that some car owners are complete idiots and inspection or not will drive their around on bald tires and no brakes.

Yeah, you can rip all the smog stuff off any car and stuff in any motor you like. Nobody gives a hoot, so long as you can drive pass the police like everybody else--no smoke, no loud exhaust, no big hood that obstructs your vision..the police leave you alone.

Even then each summer during the Dream Cruise, you can see new looking sport cars with blowers stinking out of the hoods, and everybody--cops too--think its cool.

I drove with 2 bald back tires all spring, no problems. Even was getting on it a bit making a U turn in a 55 mph zone and just before making a rightie on red--without stopping--me notice a blue meanie parked in the weeds so i came to a halt and waited my turn like a good boy...and me getting on it a bit is like most others going wot. cop just sat in the weeds as I took off towards home--still getting on it a little

State inspections are a money making racket. A friend of mine owns a really good auto repair shop across the state line in Idaho where they don't have a state inspection. He claims that the cars that he repairs in Idaho are no worse than the cars in Utah that has a safety inspection. My conclusion is that some car owners are complete idiots and inspection or not will drive their around on bald tires and no brakes.

i agree. i live in PA and we have inspections and ohio has nothing at all. it's the same thing, you see people in both states driving with bald tires and a pair of vise-grips for a steering wheel.

Here (South Dakota)no safety inspection, I have seen cars with Hoosier Dirt Bosses(circle track dirt tires). Although these were show/cruise cars, not daily drivers.

everyone i know that lives in PA from what i hear inspections there are a scam. garages do the inspection and always find something to fail you, and if you dont have them do it on the spot, you fail inspection, and they cant fit you in to reinspect it when you take it home and fix it yourself. its a bunch of crap. im sure they just wanted to sell your kid some tires.

I can't believe some parts of your country have no inspection! Here we have to get one every 6 months! And threy can be quite fussy too. Even a rust hole the size of of a dime (Thats the small coin aye?) will be enough to fail.
Luckily I have buddies who do the inspections, so I get a pass, and a list on a seperate sheet of paper of stuff to fix for next time. you guys don't know how good you've got it. MInd you, without our rules, there would be some complete POS clunkers on our roads. (I have a few of them in my driveway lol)

I can't believe some parts of your country have no inspection! Here we have to get one every 6 months! And threy can be quite fussy too. Even a rust hole the size of of a dime (Thats the small coin aye?) will be enough to fail.
Luckily I have buddies who do the inspections, so I get a pass, and a list on a seperate sheet of paper of stuff to fix for next time. you guys don't know how good you've got it. MInd you, without our rules, there would be some complete POS clunkers on our roads. (I have a few of them in my driveway lol)

i think it is like that for the east side of the US... they salt the roads and it kills the life of anything going over them... cars and trucks rust out so fast...

here in AZ we just have a yr or 2 yr smog post 68 laws and other than that nothing...

in va its 2/32nd of tread rule regardless if its DOT approved or not.

i have worked in states with and without safety inspections and i will tell you i have seen some scary stuff in the non safety inspection state... alot of people have no regard or respect for themselves or family when it comes to their vehicle(or other motorists).

one instance was a customer who was missing pads and the caliper was grinding into the rotor...and the customer asked if we can "Just slap pads on it." i politely offered him a tow truck to tow it to somebody else after a long discussion as to why i couldn't...

i assume all you guys take care of their stuff but the masses may or wont take care of theirs.

so because of a few idiots that chose to buy beer or weed instead of fixing their car, people who do have to pay for it with these laws.

so i would keep some regular joe tires that pass and throw them on for inspection... then toss the stuff you like on later

-
Back