D150 Manual Gearbox Spline Count

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a manual gearbox off a D150 on the rat truck. Gettin to the point where I need to work out the steering shaft. With my ONE OLD eye I count 25 splines on the gearbox input shaft. Is that correct? It seems like an oddball count to me, but I counted twice. It's a rough. 3/4" shaft and has a flat on it. Thank you drive through.

Oh Duh. Here I am typing out a response until I realize you are talking about the steering box not the transmission. Whoops! I have a PS steering box in my 82 D150 and the engine is out of it at the moment. I can get the shaft measurements on that one if it would do you any good. Let me know, I'll be out in the shop tonight.

Oh Duh. Here I am typing out a response until I realize you are talking about the steering box not the transmission. Whoops! I have a PS steering box in my 82 D150 and the engine is out of it at the moment. I can get the shaft measurements on that one if it would do you any good. Let me know, I'll be out in the shop tonight.

I don't know, as I don't know if they're the same. I THINK a 36 spline will fit and work but I am not certain.

With my ONE OLD eye I count 25 splines on the gearbox input shaft. Is that correct?
Use a paint marker or welder's chalk and mark one spline. Make that #1 and count around with your finger until you reach #1 again. Good method for the age impaired.
PS Don't count the #1 spline twice. :lol:

Use a paint marker or welder's chalk and mark one spline. Make that #1 and count around with your finger until you reach #1 again. Good method for the age impaired.
PS Don't count the #1 spline twice. :lol:

That's how I did it. If I counted the first spline twice, I'd be a retard. The first and last splines are separated by a BIG flat. LOL Course, I'm a retard anyway so.......

That's how I did it. If I counted the first spline twice, I'd be a retard. The first and last splines are separated by a BIG flat. LOL Course, I'm a retard anyway so.......
With the level of stupidity in the world today, I'd be the idiot if I didn't mention it.

With the level of stupidity in the world today, I'd be the idiot if I didn't mention it.

Yeah cause if you didn't then I could come blame you for it. LOL

Yeah cause if you didn't then I could come blame you for it. LOL
download (18).jpg

Are the manual and power steering couplers different?
I think not.

I modified my coupler 20 years ago, got fed up with fixing the failing spring. Hacked up a chevy one and welded it to the dodge spline. Still as good as the day i repaired it.
Could section off the splined part and run with it.
AC5EC584-C649-466F-AA88-39D781DEC55E.png
If you google the number, you will find the chrysler number, may find the spline count.

I bought a replacement shaft for a 90's dodge truck for my b body. Comes with a u joint, a slide shaft, its like the ultimate $40 conversion shaft grab bag of pieces parts that other "steering component" companies charge $300 for. Let me see if I can find it...
-------
EDIT
HERE IT IS. this slid right on my mopar manual steering box splines in the b body. Same manual box I have had in a few cars. Went right on.

000940 Steering Shaft For 1979-1993 Dodge D150 W150 D250 W250 D350 W350 Pickup | eBay

Edit again...mopar manual steering box is 36 spline...so probably ignore my above...I can't imagine you are that far off if you count 25.

Last edited:
I bought a replacement shaft for a 90's dodge truck for my b body. Comes with a u joint, a slide shaft, its like the ultimate $40 conversion shaft grab bag of pieces parts that other "steering component" companies charge $300 for. Let me see if I can find it...
-------
EDIT
HERE IT IS. this slid right on my mopar manual steering box splines in the b body. Same manual box I have had in a few cars. Went right on.

000940 Steering Shaft For 1979-1993 Dodge D150 W150 D250 W250 D350 W350 Pickup | eBay

Thanks man! That kinda answers my question. The only problem is, I'm going to need either 3 or 4 u-joints in the shaft, plus a support bearing....possibly two. LOL I have to snake around the engine, where the headers exit, go over the frame and control arm, so it's gonna be "involved" to say the least.

I modified my coupler 20 years ago, got fed up with fixing the failing spring. Hacked up a chevy one and welded it to the dodge spline. Still as good as the day i repaired it.
Could section off the splined part and run with it. View attachment 1715659143If you google the number, you will find the chrysler number, may find the spline count.

Well no, I cannot. I need a universal RIGHT off the gearbox. S'why I was askin about the spline count so I could get the right one.

Thanks man! That kinda answers my question. The only problem is, I'm going to need either 3 or 4 u-joints in the shaft, plus a support bearing....possibly two. LOL I have to snake around the engine, where the headers exit, go over the frame and control arm, so it's gonna be "involved" to say the least.
With all of those moving parts, expect binding up to be an issue. My buddy has a lowered 1950 Ford PU, and he has been going nuts over his steering shaft issues.

About an 83.
Everything i see says it would be a 36 spline...just like the manual box in the cars. So not sure what odd duck you have there.

Mopar manual steering box (and the shaft i bought above) are 36, with a flat. (Or 38 if your u joint doesn't have the flat).

Everything i see says it would be a 36 spline...just like the manual box in the cars. So not sure what odd duck you have there.

Mopar manual steering box (and the shaft i bought above) are 36, with a flat. (Or 38 if your u joint doesn't have the flat).

It would be 36 without the flat, I am pretty sure, so a 36 will probably fit. I just wanted to be "SURE" before I started buyin stuff.

The information I am finding is 3/4 30 spline. The Chevy/GMC trucks from about the same year use the same box and "OF COURSE" they list spline counts "FOR THOSE". Even though they don't have the full 30 spline count, they still count as 30 as if the flat "was not flat".

-
Back