Daily Driver Recommendations for the Wife

-
Buy the car off the insurance company and fix it, that is an easy fix, plenty of them in the junkyards.
Don't get suckered into 25% buy back.
Offer them $500 and you keep the title in your name, "no salvage".
That car will bring nothing at the salvage auction, so the insurance company will be ready to dump it.

Too bad these deals are long gone. From February 2020. Chargers were about the same price...

Challenger4.JPG

Buy the car off the insurance company and fix it, that is an easy fix, plenty of them in the junkyards.
Don't get suckered into 25% buy back.
Offer them $500 and you keep the title in your name, "no salvage".
That car will bring nothing at the salvage auction, so the insurance company will be ready to dump it.
The whole trunk opening is pushed in/deformed. It’d take a decent amount of work to fix. If I had experience with body/metal work, I’d just see about doing it myself. That said, I do like the idea of offering $500 for it. If I could buy it back for that, I would!

On the camrys be aware 2018 and 2019 have a problem with acceleration. bought my wife a 2019 Camry, dark grey with black interior, very nice car and did handle great and got good gas mileage, however noticed it had an acceleration issue which got worse over time. There’s a TSB out for it. Toyota dealership did the updates on the car and was slightly better but still had a problem as in 1 to 2 second acceleration delay which in an emergency situation that can mean a lot getting out of the way of something. Also coming from a rolling stop and accelerating, it had a hard time downshifting which youd have to floor it in order for it to kick down. The dealership did have me test another Camry of the same year and that also had just about the same problem. Idk about the newer model but from my personal experience I was pretty disappointed in that car to where I wanted to trade it in for something else but the dealership I took it too offered to buy it back for more than we got into it which was great so sold it to them and used that money to get something different.

My mom has a 2019 Camry XLE with the 2.5 and it doesn't do that at all. Hers was made later in the year so maybe that makes a difference. I don't even like automatics and I thought that car is excellent, the engine punches above its weight. They regularly go on trips and get 38-39 hwy averaging 80mph and it gets about 30 city. Really comfortable and doesn't have stop-start which is a feature I hate.

I bought an accord in 2019. It’s the sport model with the fancy wheels and big screen with Apple play. It should have come with ear plugs. The road noise is almost unbearable at times. It’s a great car other than that with zero issues at 90,000 miles but my pick up truck has a quieter ride.

Although I've been a Mopar man forever but had a lot of others. I'd buy a Toyota. I purchased a Dodge mini Vav last year. new 2020. I don't like it! Lots of road noise the tires are over 50% wore down. 20,000 miles. Trans is erratic rear glass does not open. It also doesn't really fit me well. Fits the wife good. Engine has good power. But the road noise is the worst thing about it. Again Toyota is the best. Check out Consumers Report it will tell you a lot.

The whole trunk opening is pushed in/deformed. It’d take a decent amount of work to fix. If I had experience with body/metal work, I’d just see about doing it myself. That said, I do like the idea of offering $500 for it. If I could buy it back for that, I would!
Its just sheet-metal, spot welds holding it together, buy the needed panels from the junkyard and spot-weld them in.
You may need an easy pull on a frame machine, but after that car is tore down, its not damaged that bad.

Its just sheet-metal, spot welds holding it together, buy the needed panels from the junkyard and spot-weld them in.
You may need an easy pull on a frame machine, but after that car is tore down, its not damaged that bad.
Something I thought of several years ago was to buy a wrecked 200, cut the body off it, cut everything out of the bottom of my 67 4 door valiant, since the wheelbase is the same between the cars. Well, today I grabbed a tape measure and started measuring. Turns out, the wheelbase is the only measurement that would work! The 200 track width is 4” too wide and the engine sits so far forward compared to the front wheel that the radiator would have to be strapped to the front of the valiant grill. Lol well there goes that idea! Could still pull the engine and seats out of the 200 to put in the valiant. That’d be well worth it if I could buy it back for $500

I know people here won’t like this, but I bought the wife a 2012 Subaru Outback, fully serviced with 120k miles on it for $8k. It has every bell and whistle on it that you could want, drives excellent, and easy to work on, and really good in snow, although maybe not your biggest concern. She liked her Forrester better, but it popped a head gasket, but it was also almost 20 years old and still looked and ran great. Hindsight, I should’ve just fixed the head gasket.

If I wanted a 4 door sedan I would have to consider the modern Charger. For a modern car I CAN look at them and not barf. There are so many on the road, they must be decent cars.
Had a 4.2 Jeep 5-6 years back, I forget the model. Nice dependable car. Same engine in my '75 AMC Hornet! Good engine!

Keep an eye out for one of these totally safe, economical dream machines!
View attachment 1715863392
And ultra rare too, so you don't have to worry about depreciation. Roflmao!
Seriously, I would go with a newer Camry or Subaru if those were your options. We are on our second Taurus wagon, first was a 1996, 150k trouble free miles when the overdrive module in the transmission started to act up, sold it and bought a one owner 2002 model, had 90k miles on it when we bought it, now has 120k, basic maintenance is all it's needed so far, plenty of power with the 24 valve dohc motor too. Will cruise all day at 75 mph and get 30 mpg.

Daily driver for me, I lean towards Toyota's or Honda's.
Can't beat them for gas mileage, low maintenance and reliability. Having said that, Hyundai has come along way, and Kia's are getting very good reviews.

Daily driver for me, I lean towards Toyota's or Honda's.
Can't beat them for gas mileage, low maintenance and reliability. Having said that, Hyundai has come along way, and Kia's are getting very good reviews.
The new Camry's have the worst ride to them, my cousin bought a new one, we took it to the nationals last year, its three hr drive from my house, my legs were numb from that POS, I refuse to get in it that tin can ever again.
He bought that Toyota to replace his wife's Honda accord, they test drove a new accord and he said it was not the same quality car the older Honda was. They kept the old Honda, and bought the Toyota.

My step-son really likes KIA's, they buy one new, run it until the warrantee runs out, then trades on another KIA, it works for them.

$20k or less. Looks like were planning to exhaust our options with the ‘15+ Chargers. They’re available with all the options she’s wanting, just a matter of finding the right one now.

I just picked this one up for my wife
Sure checked all the boxes

2015, hemi, awd, 75k miles and just a tad over $15k out the door

(and the dealer did a great job making it not obvious this was a police car...just needs some rims)

its got a cop motor..

Marge’s 2016 Chrysler 200C got rear ended at a stop light yesterday morning (everyone is ok, thankfully) while the the damage doesn’t look too bad, it pushed in the structural steel below the passenger tail light. I stopped at the body shop this morning and they said it’ll definitely be totaled. Car still drives great, only has 138k miles and we just put new tires on it… :BangHead: Anyway, a few of the cars were considering/researching are the 2016-ish and up Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Kia Optima. Any experience/opinions on those cars or any other models that y’all think we should seriously consider? We’d LOVE a Challenger but with a baby on the way, a two door definitely won’t be an option for the primary vehicle. We’d also consider a Charger or 300. I’d love to get a magnum but she says no wagons, suvs or vans! Lol

View attachment 1715862752

View attachment 1715862753

View attachment 1715862754

Go test drive some Subaru's
Dam good cars I also see u line in snow prone area so all wheel drive is a plus

-
Back