Votes: 29 30.5%
  • These older cars are unreliable. Don't be a dummy

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Lately I have been considering getting an A-body for a daily driver if I can find one that runs and drives good. Either a 318 or a /6 car. And I just recently came across a car that is sitting inside that has a 318 and a 4 speed and the owner said at most it'd take a new fuel pump or carb to get it running again, but it drove in there and hasn't ran in several years and he doesn't know what kind of mechanical shape its in really. The car was really really clean, like no greasy engine bay or anything, I have yet to get a good look at the floorpans from underneath, but the interior was really neatly kept as well. What do you guys think? the guy seems to be offering at a low price so, if I sold my current daily, Id have a decent bit of cash just incase.

My advice if you are looking at is as a daily driver, check it over as you would any car you were looking at for a daily driver. You don't have enough information on this car yet.

a-body as a daily driver ? nothing better, my 4door 70ties valiant is more reliable than most cars i had before - and makes much more fun on everyday

I would want to here it run,put gas down the carb as you know fire it up.NO WAY I would buy without hearing it run.Myself would love an a body for a daily driver it breaks down very simple to fix,not like todays cars.

go for it! just dont get rid of your other car until you have worked the bugs out of the new one and you are sure you can trust it as your main source of transportation

My 72 Vailant was my daily driver for a few years until recently; now it needs full brake rebuild and ball joints.

They make great daily drivers as long as it isnt completly worn out. Make sure it runs and drives.

My '72 Challenger is my daily, and my "newest" car. At the time I bought it, the Challenger was not on the road or registered. It ran, but had not been driven regularly. It took me a few months to get it reliable enough to drive, and about a year before I felt like I was ahead of the curve on maintenance. It can be done, but here's my advice.

If you're going to get a car that isn't currently a daily driver, and use it as one, you're going to have some issues. That's all there is to it. If its been parked for a few years, you're going to have to go completely through the fuel system, the ignition system, and the brakes, at minimum. Plan on spending at least $500 just on this, even if you don't expect any problems. If you have known problems (carb, fuel pump in this case), add that on top of the $500. Figure that as the absolute minimum you'll have to spend to make this thing functional (not nice, I said functional). And know that you'll run into other issues along the way! It's amazing how many little issues can crop up, heaters, wipers, gauges, random bushings, strange leaks will all start showing up as they get more use.

Between my girlfriend and I, we've now put several cars on the road that were not being regularly used and that we now use as daily drivers (she drives a '71 Ford F100 4x4). In my experience, it takes about a year of driving as a daily to get caught up on all the little issues. My suggestion would be to keep your stratus for at least a few months after you buy the A-body if you can. That way you can go through the A-body, start using it, and still have a way to get to work in case something pops up. If after a few months the A-body is working well, you can sell the Stratus and keep your fingers crossed :-D. Even if you completely go through the entire car, things will surface as you drive it.

I would want to here it run,put gas down the carb as you know fire it up.NO WAY I would buy without hearing it run.Myself would love an a body for a daily driver it breaks down very simple to fix,not like todays cars.
That's one of the main reason I'd rather have an A-body then my current car. Way too much complicated junk. And electrical is just a major headache. And also, that's my plan, to see how good it runs first and drives hopefully. Any advice on getting her to fire up? Besides pouring gas down the carb, should I bring some new plugs and wires?

Thats some pretty good advice 72bluNblu. Thank you :cheers:

depends how far and how often you actually use the car. my drive to work is 40 miles each direction. no way am i killing myself on gas with a dart as a daily driver. i have a buddy that lives in the city that only works a few blocks from home and doesn't need the car every single day. he has a 318 scamp thats perfect as a daily driver. its all about how your gonna use it.

That's one of the main reason I'd rather have an A-body then my current car. Way too much complicated junk. And electrical is just a major headache. And also, that's my plan, to see how good it runs first and drives hopefully. Any advice on getting her to fire up? Besides pouring gas down the carb, should I bring some new plugs and wires?

Thats some pretty good advice 72bluNblu. Thank you :cheers:

No problem. And just so you know, I put about 10k a year on my Challenger. Like Joe said, that matters too. If you're a "super commuter" it may not pay dividends to have the old car.

As far as starting it up, at the minimum I'd bring a 5 gallon can of fresh gas, about 6 ft of fuel line (in case you have to run it off that can), starter fluid, and maybe a fresh battery. Any tune up items that you want to bring will help too, just depends on your plans. If you just want to hear it run, you probably won't need them. If you want to drive it home, I'd bring a full tune up with me, plugs, wires, points and condenser, air and fuel filters, as well as some spare oil, atf if its an auto, and brake fluid.

Also keep in mind that if you take a car that doesn't run and make it run while its still in the owner's garage, the price might go up.

^ agreed my 77aspen (newest car ive owned) daily driver im still getting cought up but she runs great my car cant even reach its warmest on the driver to work so the 318 is decent on gas and my 63 valiant wagon was my daily driver for a couple years it took awhile to get her cought up it was a drag car when i bought her so alot of stuff not cared for but i take my old cars camping and nvr think twice about breaking down now.my experience with my abodys carry a extra battery cable with u if u dont change em right when u get it.

Attachments

• Picture 221.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Picture 479.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,022
I agree with the other guys...

I almost bought a 68 273 dart a few months ago that I was going to daily drive. If i had more time I wouldve been all over it, but I was starting school in 3 weeks and it needed work.

I did get it to run, but it had low compression.. I'd love to find myself another 67-69 Daily driver 2 door Dart, but I'm just going to buy an Srt4 instead.

heres my drive soon

Attachments

• Picture 163.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,025
My Dart is not my daily,I have an 01 Ram 1500 Quad Cab for that. I would love to have another 67-69 Dart to make my daily.I say go for it,But be sure.

From my experience, the old cars are much easier to work on, but also have issues a lot more often (or need more regular work) than something newer. I have had some really solid old cars that I would take anywhere, but like these guys said, it takes some real time/energy to get to that point. This is especially true if you drive far, or a lot...

I say if your current DD is paid for, and without issues, drive it. If you are making payments, or it is on it's way out, the old A-body may "help" your situation.

Just remember, everything that your DD needs is like taking 1 step backward on your "project". Both from the $ aspect, as well as the time needed to tinker/fix stuff.

one more thing. the parts for our older cars seem to be garbage compared to years ago. if you use one as a daily driver make sure you have spare parts and tool with you at all times.

Good driver since your not putting on a lot of miles.

You run the risk of not getting a deal on it if you get it running there. Maybe do a compression check instead. I've had sellers get greedy! Also, be sure it has antifreeze or you may end up with a cracked block surprise if/when you get it home.

I'm also looking for an a body for a daily so i can park the ram dually to keep the miles and maintence down, big parts for that thing are expensive. But the one i get will have to have ac here in fla.

Believe it or not.... my '72 Duster is my daily driver. I drove it to school every day of high school and still to college. These cars are meant to drive and have some fun what good are they in the garage but a queen bee... but I will tell you one thing. My duster has never let me down. Keep her full of premium and some cash in your wallet cause all she'll need is gas!

I'm also looking for an a body for a daily so i can park the ram dually to keep the miles and maintence down, big parts for that thing are expensive. But the one i get will have to have ac here in fla.

hey just noticed you also have a 66 cuda and ram 3500 dually diesel (only mine is a 97)

My car sat parked for a year before we bought it for $1800 back in '03, It needed drums on all or corners and the carbeurator was bolted loosely on the manifold causing power loss on hills due to the leak that formed when the carb leaned back. Anyways, dad drove the car for about 4 out of the 6 ensuing years, the other two years he drove his '65 Falcon daily (under restoration), both cars did wonderful and required maintainance of some sort all most every other month, they grabbed a lot of attention too. Since I got my license on January 8th of '09, the dart has been driven daily to and from work and school.

The Falcon has been parked for nigh on two years now while it's being worked on, in the meantime my dad has been driving a '92 Dakota with a V6 and he says he enjoys it. I like the Dak as a work truck, but I'd hate to drive it daily.

I have a65 cuda just had full mechanical restoration, it was ment to be a daily driver. However after 5k of work i would not risk it as a daily driver too many crazy fools on the road. It has 318 gets about 20 mpg so could be ok for short commute. My next move is a complete electrical restoration, or redoing. I have found 45 year old electrical wires to be not reliable. I would buy a newer car for daily driving why risk a historical vehicle to the possibility of a wreck or being broken into. Keep in mind these cars are easy to unlock (coat hanger) so if you have important stuff like computer or document they cannot be left in car at all! If you do lots of work to car you will not want to drive it daily in city traffic. I am lucky I live and work well away from crowded city streets. I drive cuda when it is nice out only!. These cars do not brake or handle well in rain for instance! Look for a neon or such for daily use and enjoy your classic car on weekends and for fun!

I have a65 cuda just had full mechanical restoration, it was ment to be a daily driver. However after 5k of work i would not risk it as a daily driver too many crazy fools on the road. It has 318 gets about 20 mpg so could be ok for short commute. My next move is a complete electrical restoration, or redoing. I have found 45 year old electrical wires to be not reliable. I would buy a newer car for daily driving why risk a historical vehicle to the possibility of a wreck or being broken into. Keep in mind these cars are easy to unlock (coat hanger) so if you have important stuff like computer or document they cannot be left in car at all! If you do lots of work to car you will not want to drive it daily in city traffic. I am lucky I live and work well away from crowded city streets. I drive cuda when it is nice out only!. These cars do not brake or handle well in rain for instance! Look for a neon or such for daily use and enjoy your classic car on weekends and for fun!

I wholeheartedly disagree. Cars are meant to be driven. Accidents suck, no doubt, but letting the poor thing sit in the garage and die a slow death is worse.

As far as theft, new cars are just as easy. Why? Because any thief that's in it for the money has a set of keys (bump or otherwise) or a transmitter. Viola, unlocked car, no damage. Put in an ignition disconnect (try that on a new car by yourself!) or a fuel pump cut off switch (if you've gone electric). Hell most people these days can't even drive a stick. No one carries a "slim jim" anymore, they don't work on new cars. If they want your stuff, they'll break the window anyway.

Handling? A bodies especially can be made to handle very well. Modern compound tires are a big improvement by themselves. Stiffer t-bars and sways, and they'll pull 1 G on a lateral skid, which is better than a lot of cars off the lot. Stopping? A-bodies are super easy. Convert to '73-'76 spindles and ball joints and run 11 3/4" disks in the front, it's a bolt on conversion. It's what I run on my Challenger, and it stops quite well (no, probably not brand new ABS well, but you'd be surprised). I also run 11" drums in the back (courtesy the same Diplomat), but that's probably overkill for an A-body, and requires axles if you're SBP.

Bottom line is, cars are meant to be driven. I drive my Challenger in the rain all winter, I park it in my driveway (that's right, not in a garage), and I've driven it in the snow a few times (weather forecasters are unreliable), although out here they sand, and not salt, the roads. Most new cars that I'd want to drive still cost more than what I've spent on my Challenger, so why not drive it? If you want to keep your car perfect forever, put it in a museum and forget about it. With any luck the museum won't burn down.

-
Back