Dakota/Durango drivetrain in an Abody?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
sory if im reposting couldnt find the info i was looking for. Ive gotten hints here and there about using 90's-04 Daks and Durangos in a bodys. stuff like the tranny and rear end. what are the complications with this? I kno they use 8.25 rears that are 29 spline instead of 27(?) but do they need to be cut down to fit? and what about using a tranny with overdrive? are there electronics i need to play with? Cuz if thats the case ill stick with a 904!

Try rephrasing your question in different ways when you do the thread searches, sometimes that's the most time consuming part of doing the research.

Short answer; pre Hemi motors are a virtual bolt in with the right bits and you'll find the earliest versions of the 500 (904) and 518 (727) overdrive automatics transmissions to be non electronic with simple electrical connections. Fitting them through the torsion bar crossmember without totally cobbling up the car is the trick, and one reason why so many that can't think outside the box, cop out, and abandon the torsion bars. 8 1/4 rear ends require the correct length driveline, spring pad spacing, wheel offset for housing width, and brake hookups. Nothing special.

i plan on eventually ditching the torsion bars anyway. At least i think i lose them with the Alter-K-tion. not entirely sure tho. this is just an idea to play with since a durango/dak near me is far easier to find than an old mopar as far as parts are concerned. does it make a difference to me if the truck is 4x4? can i still use the rear out of it regaurdless?

-
Back