Damn! Broken tail shaft section.

-

Badart

Reaction score
I took my recent good buy on a so called running recently pulled 74 Chrysler 80k mi. 440 727 combo to the carwash today to see whats under the grease and oil. I discovered a big crack in the tail shaft section of the trans. I am yet to tear into anything and I hope I didn't get taken. I only gave $350 for both, he wanted $500. I have heard that this can be a weak point on these anyway. My question is does anyone make a stronger one? Aftermarket? Different model?

Unless you're going to throw "big hp and torque" through it, just replace the broken tail shaft housing. Just my 2 cents.

Well I plan on having the trans built strong. I am going with a stroker kit from 440 source and a set of their heads.

Well I plan on having the trans built strong. I am going with a stroker kit from 440 source and a set of their heads.
Buddy of mine runs a 4000lb SBird with a 727 strong internals but case is stock. Runs 9.80's. Never broke one.

I think you should ask yourself why it's broke in the first place cuss this is not a common problem. Did the previous owner snap a rear u joint in the car this combo was in. If that is what caused the cracked tailshaft the tranny has been overspeed and needs to be overhauled immediately, I wouldn't even run it.

terry

74ProStreet: Clarify. Did the tail shaft break of just the housing?

The motor was already pulled when I bought it. So I am not sure what happened. I will find a replacement and have the shop go through it.

You know I hope this guy didn't derby this motor and trans. He told me he didn't, but told me he was saving it to derby and needs the money. Could a shot in the rear cause it to crack?

You know I hope this guy didn't derby this motor and trans. He told me he didn't, but told me he was saving it to derby and needs the money. Could a shot in the rear cause it to crack?
Yes, but sounds to me like he "drove it through the pickers." LOL When your tranny guy rebuilds it, have him install a bolt in sprag. Most are just heat treated. Good luck.

-
Back