Damper retaining bolt?

-

IdahoCarson

Reaction score
According to Dutra’s book slants “usually did not come wit a retaining bolt”. Mine has one and I removed it so I can run my fan without the spacer so I can fit the radiator from halfafish’s write up. So is my damper going to fly off? I definitely trust Doug but it never hurts to ask.

image.jpg

Thank you. I guess the guy that rebuilt it in the 80’s probably left his installer on.
Or enjoyed using it to roll the engine around to set/check valve lash, keep it, and put a thin smear of grease in the crank threads so they don't rust. You may want to pop it back in to do just that, loosen fan belt if blades don't clear. They are a TIGHT press fit, You're good.

Yeah it might come off. At 7500 RPM.

i have run a 72 and up radiator and now a 64-65 radiator in my 66 without an issue ( all using the spacer ). only reason I didn't buy the 66 radiator from Champion is its listed with a smaller hose connection. IF I wasn't in a rush to get it I would have contacted and verified it was not smaller. All the radiators I have seen listed for the slant have a passenger side lower connection.

Yes, confused me too when I noticed no crank bolt in my 1964 slant, but apparently how the factory shipped them. My guess is they used a hydraulic press to push the damper on, perhaps threaded into the crank snout, then removed the tool. I vaguely recall turning over the engine in my 1969 Dart slant using the crank bolt, but perhaps added by a prior owner. I found no crank bolt in my 2002 Chrysler 3.8L V-6, but only because some gomer had sheared it off and left the remainder recessed in the crank snout. In one of my wins, I was able to drill a perfectly centered hole (used a sleeve on pilot drill bit, and a new carbide bit), then enlarged for my largest Easy-out (actually worked for once). Anyway, the damper was stuck tight on that engine without a crank bolt.

Only engine I recall that would send the balancer away from a stop light without the vehicle attached was a 4 cyl. in a Chevette. Around 1980 model.

Older SB Chevs. A then friend of mine had a 57 Chev and it would regularly come off. Why it did not eat the radiator is beyond me. Of course we were too young and stupid to actually fix it somehow.

I had a 327 in a 67 Chevelle that would routinely fling the balancer since the crank was not drilled and tapped for a bolt. I ended up doing just that.

-
Back