Dana 44?

-

Loosenutz

Big Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 69 Dart for parts and the owner says it has a Dana 44 in it? I'm trying to determine how much I could sell the rear end for if I buy the car. Any ideas?

Here is a Dana 44 from a Jeep.

Probably a couple hundred to the right person. Especially if it the right width for a Wrangler like out of a Wagoneer.

Attachments

• D44.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 528
Yeah, you'll need to know what it fits, if it's been modified, gear ratio, and limited slip or not. There may be some guys wanting it for another A-body if it fits properly. You'll have to take some detailed specs and measurements to post regardless of who buys it.

Most dana 44's have a 5 on 5" bolt pattern.
Nobody in their right mind would spend the money to change bolt pattern to a mopar 5 on 4.5".
A 44 is a marginal rear and a decent front in a CJ.
I broke 7 dana 44's in one month in my first CJ, it was so bad I kept a built one for a spare.
The best one I broke, I twisted the axle tubes out of the center.
40" tires on a cj-5 is hard on parts.

I remember back in 98-2000 workin at a Jeep dealer....Those Dana 44 were junk....We used to replace the entire rear under warranty due to bearings and ring and pinion problems......Most (if not all) had a LSD.....I wouldn't waste the time or money converting it.......

More mis-information, you're talking about the D-44 A which had issues and then shops and dealers never re-did them right.

I have a D-44 and D-44-A they are not weak, when the off-road guys use them and they're bouncing them all over that is no good for any rear. . .

The D-44-A is what resides in the Vipers.... Ever see a Viper on stock diff and shafts run 7.40 with the manual trans

Still sure you wanna use the term weak or junk with a D-44 or D-44 A

I decided to pass on buying the car. He owed a couple hundred in back registration so it wasn't worth it. I think he put the 44 in there so it could be rolled around. I wonder if it would be a good option for an A body.

More mis-information, you're talking about the D-44 A which had issues and then shops and dealers never re-did them right.

I have a D-44 and D-44-A they are not weak, when the off-road guys use them and they're bouncing them all over that is no good for any rear. . .

The D-44-A is what resides in the Vipers.... Ever see a Viper on stock diff and shafts run 7.40 with the manual trans

Still sure you wanna use the term weak or junk with a D-44 or D-44 A

I agree. A Dana 44 is probably at least stronger than an 8 1/4, probably between an 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 in strength. Hell, MILLIONS of 1/2 ton pickups and vans in the older days had 44's in 'em. Jags used em, yep, the IRS center section in some Jags is a 44

^You're giving away a secret. In my experiance a D44 is plenty strong. Thank the 4x4 crowd. You have more options and parts availability than most other axles.

It might well be. What I posted was just a guess. We agree that it is certainly a lot stronger than the "junk" someone suggested.

This someone didn't know that it was two different brands of the Dana 44 axle....The ones that were put into 1998 Grand Cherokees with the 5.2 with 4 wheel drive that I worked on were junk and replaced under warranty which sucked...LoL.....I didn't mean to "lump" them together, only givin experience on the axles I knew about.....

I have that exact same lighter Aluminum D-44 in a 95 GC and it is doing fine with 390hp + 150 + 250. . . .

Sometimes both stages are on right out the gate.

Im going to take sr71's advice from here on out.

The reason they had bearing problems was stupid people and equally stupider mechanics didn't read "DO NOT JACK FROM CENTER SECTION" that is what caused the bearing failure and since the D-44 A is different that it's aluminum it has a special procedure to be done to rebuild them and not screw them up and wreck them that almost every shop gets wrong...

Learn somethin new all the time.....All the info they had in the t.s.b was to swap them out and make sure to add the lsd lube chrysler provided......Never was the one to jack under the diff cause I always had a lift to use.....I always thought they should be strong but when vehicles under warranty they don't explain much....

say i have a d44 sitting in my yard that im thinking of putting under my duster and its out of a 65 gmc alot of people on here keep telling me to get a 8 3/4

I was measuring the rear of my 95 Grand Cherokee outside tire to outside tire and it's 2 inches narrower then my Barracuda outside to outside 68" vs 70" Now my Barracuda has negative offset 15x10's on it and the Jeep has positive offset 15x7's. You would think the right wheel would make that Jeep axle just right in an A body. They are inexpensive, have good gear ratios and have disc brakes as well. One off road mag listed the Dana 44 rear as being a step above the Ford 8.8 and at least it's off a Mopar! My Jeep actually doesn't have a Dana 44 but I wasn't looking to part out my daily driver anyway.

You need to learn the CA DMV laws about penalties and back registration on collector cars... You may be able to use the back due stuff as a bargaining point.

-
Back