Dana 60 docdiff axles

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I went ahead an cut down the Dana I got this winter welded the ends on an ordered the parts I needed from docdiff. But beings how this is my first time doing this I have a couple of questions an I can't find many pictures on the net to help me out.
So here it goes, the axles already have the bearings on them an the mounting plate. I am going to be re-using the drum brakes from my 8.25. I'm wondering the order in which this goes together. Do I put the gasket first then drum brake and slide the shaft with bearing through drum brake then bolt through the mounting plate the shafts came with to bolt it all together?
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I don't want to have to do this twice.
And there's this, what looks like some sort of snap ring on the bearing. Is this the bearing stop?
So the bearing doesn't go fully into the welded ends? I just wanted to make sure because it looks easy to damage. Thanks

You have the newer style of green bearings with the loose ring. The snap ring keeps the bearing in the housing bore.
There should be a "O" ring to seal the bearing to the bore. I usually put a thin smear of silicone
on the "O" ring just because.
The factory used a closed cell white foam gasket and a paper gasket also but no "O" ring.
I have seen steel shim gaskets also.
With the siliconed "O" ring the orientation likely doesn't make much difference as the seal has been made.
If my memory is correct the steel shim went behind the backing plate and the foam was behind the bearing flange. Aftermarket bearings used the paper behind the bearing flange.

-
Back