Dana 60 in the 72 Dart

-

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Hey guy's I have been lining up parts for my 72 Dart for my 451 Stroker conversion, I found a Semi-floating Dana 60 out of a 86 F-250, 3.73 open carrier,30 spline axles, complete and not all rusted for $70.00! my plan is
to stuff a powertrax locker I was thinking of just sticking a spool in it but I really don't like chirping tires going around corners!! I want to drive this on the street!!! some 4.10's as far as the axles go I am waiting to see what width I want to go with, I want some wide tires but not overkill, I will probably mini-tub it, Do any of you have any suggestions on axle width for
say a 15" wide tire combo, Still want to run leafs with Cal-tracs, I want this car to have the feeling of a old Hemi Dart as far as stance (and Im pretty sure it oughta scoot better than the Hemi dart as well!!!) I havent done much measuring as far as the height of a tire. just looking for some thoughts input on the rear suspension as im setting it up with the Dana 60

Get the wheel and tire you want to run and set it in the wheelwells. Measure from mount face to mount face.

Axle length is totally dependent on wheel backspace choice. Less backspace = shorter axle, More backspace = longer axle.

Most of the time on minitub cars you'll see anywhere from 48" to about 57" axle lengths depending on backspace.

Yeah crackedback, Thats what I was figuring on running around 50-54 inch since a stock A body is roughly 56"

You may or may not like a locker out back. Lockers can pop and bang as they engage/disengage. They may not do it all the time but when they do it sounds like you are driving a hoopty with the rear end falling apart.

Actually I just found a different Dana 60!! Has already been shortened 51" backing plate width, 4.56 Posi, Has 2 gear sets also 4.11 and 4.88, Strange axles, HD studs and yoke,ladder bars, leaf sliders?, $800.00? Im going to go look at it Monday.

Well I went and picked up the Dana 60 today, after getting it back and inspecting it I found some interesting things, I happened to notice that it had holes for the pinion snubber on the case!? (Car only) Then I went ahead and took the cover off and it is a true original "posi" then I spun the unit and found a date stamp "12-6-66 B" Could this be a rear axle out of a 67 Hemi B body??? there are some other stampings on the case but the numbers I found do not correspond to any numbers I can find online, It does have Strange 35 spline axles, I don't have any pics but the Sure-grip unit looks like a Chrysler piece to me and the fact that it has factory looking holes in the casting for the pinion snubber, I gave $850 for the whole shebang including a Chromeoly driveshaft, with 2 other sets of gears 4.88's & 4.11's, I think that is a heck of a deal I stumbled across, It does have ladder bar mounts welded to the axle tubes and has a weird leaf spring setup I have never seen before. Any help on casting numbers would be appreciated!!

There should be some numbers on the pass side axle tube. 60910x-x or something like that. It's the Bill of Materials number.

It's been shortened, the real value of the rear is gone to the resto guys.. Original length and it's worth a bit more. Not a bad deal for what you got. The power lock is a nice unit and extra gear sets never hurt.

Yeah Crackedback I get what your saying on value, but at least I know I have a original Chrysler car Dana 60! I was laughing because it came out of a Camaro! Even the Chevy guy's know they have to put Mopar parts on their junk to get it to hold together!!!:-D

-
Back