Dark spots in paint.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Any idea how to remove dark spots from paint? This is the original paint on my 73 Dart. I’ve tried buffing and regular washing.

9089CD59-2881-46C7-968D-5E832B616F3B.jpeg

AAF8638E-F565-4CC5-A3BB-29EDA2D95A1B.jpeg

Try washing with Dawn dish soap, that cuts tree sap.

Kind of looks like Blueberry stains from bird droppings.

Could try a thin mix of distilled water and auto body rubbing compound in a unnoticeable area to see if some of that will clean up, with a cotton cloth by hand.

That single stage paint does not have much clear mixed in, and it is easy to get down into the metallic layers if you are not careful, so be careful and proceed after doing test areas.

Could be animal blood stains from someone hitting a bird. Looks like some type of surface contamination that has soaked in.

☆☆☆☆☆

The car as hallways been kept in our garage which is why it’s so strange to me. It MAY have spent 50 nights outside in the 17 years that I have owned it. I’ll give Dawn a shot though. That’s an easy one.

Any idea how to remove dark spots from paint? This is the original paint on my 73 Dart. I’ve tried buffing and regular washing.

View attachment 1716062808

View attachment 1716062809
Is that only on the top side? If so that would be a super simple paint job. If you aren't capable, I'd bet you would get some pretty reasonable estimates to have it done. I agree with George Jets, probably too thin to cut and buff. But if you were to try, I'd start with 5000, 3000 then 1000 grit if needed in a small inconspicuous spot. Tread lightly! That should tell you if it can be done.

-
Back