Dart 67. Swap from manual to automatic, help needed

-

Achill

Reaction score
Hi! have a manual transmission and I want to switch it to automatic. Dodge Dart 1967. Engine - Magnum, can you please help with the transmission selection? Looks like there two types of 727, with Reverse Shift Pattern or with Forward Shift Pattern, which one I need? maybe some specifics that I'm missing now? Automatic/Manual Valve Body - what does it mean? what on top of transmission I have to order? anything hidden or not obvious? sorry for stupid questions...

thanks in advance!!!

P.S. full description of what I'm focused now
Automatic Transmission, Forward Shift Pattern, Automatic/Manual Valve Body, Mopar, Torqueflite 727, Each

Weather it is forward or reverse, it means you have to shift it manually, there is no automatic shift. Is this what you want? A good place to start is here. I have their 727-4 in my 416 Barracuda.
727 | Cope Racing

Weather it is forward or reverse, it means you have to shift it manually, there is no automatic shift. Is this what you want? A good place to start is here. I have their 727-4 in my 416 Barracuda.
727 | Cope Racing
Nope, looking for swapping manual transmission to an automatic transmission. Question was related to a forward shift pattern or reverse one...

thanks for the source, looks like this one is what I need? not a word about shift pattern...

727 Super Street automatic shift. Perfect for muscle cars, this high performance street transmission is built by John Cope. Includes: Glass beaded case & tail housing in side & out, CRTs automatic shift valve body with Trans-Go TF-2 shift kit , bolt in sprag, Stock Clutches,Red Bands, Seals, Gaskets, washers, and Bushings. Deep steel oil pan with billet filter extension.

If you go with a stock trans you will need to install kickdown linkage.

I just did the same swap in my 67. If you need help you can pm me

A reverse shift pattern is ALWAYS an aftermarket valve body so if you didn't install one, it's a forward shift pattern. Some shifters like the "ratchet" ones can shift either way. You an also use some "non ratchet" shifters either direction. I used my Cheetah shifter which was supplied "forward" on a reverse valve for some time. On those shifters the difference is the "gate" which you can change

"Think" out why this is.........if you are "slamming gears" you don't want to accidently engage neutral, reverse, or park. And, you don't want to "skip" from 1 to 3. So the shifter either must ratchet one notch/ gear at a time, or have a "gate" so you can only move one, then unlock the gate, and shift again. The way the Cheetah ones work is obvious, just look at them........(example)

Mopar-Gates-8-31-11.gif

A reverse shift pattern is ALWAYS an aftermarket valve body so if you didn't install one, it's a forward shift pattern. Some shifters like the "ratchet" ones can shift either way. You an also use some "non ratchet" shifters either direction. I used my Cheetah shifter which was supplied "forward" on a reverse valve for some time. On those shifters the difference is the "gate" which you can change

"Think" out why this is.........if you are "slamming gears" you don't want to accidently engage neutral, reverse, or park. And, you don't want to "skip" from 1 to 3. So the shifter either must ratchet one notch/ gear at a time, or have a "gate" so you can only move one, then unlock the gate, and shift again. The way the Cheetah ones work is obvious, just look at them........(example)

View attachment 1715203171
THANKS a lot!! appreciate that full answer.

Where are you located? I have the same but opposite problem as you, I have an Auto and want to go to Manual. I would love a 4 speed behind my 360. My set up is currently a column shift 727 that I believe was pulled out of a 1973 pickup (previous owner did it, not me) in case that makes any difference to you for a possible trade?

Where are you located? I have the same but opposite problem as you, I have an Auto and want to go to Manual. I would love a 4 speed behind my 360. My set up is currently a column shift 727 that I believe was pulled out of a 1973 pickup (previous owner did it, not me) in case that makes any difference to you for a possible trade?

I'm from Russia :) so I can only by from US and to send something will cost a fortune.

I'm from Russia :) so I can only by from US and to send something will cost a fortune.

You did not mention what engine you have............

If your engine is original it will have the so called "early" small converter bore. This means a later transmission with the larger converter pilot will not fit. You need to find out the year of your engine or measure the crankshaft converter pilot bore. If you find a later transmission, you could have a custom converter built I guess

Also be aware that Mopar transmissions MUST fit the engine. The slant six, the small block series, and big block or 426 hemi engines are three different transmission cases

Also, if you want to use a factory floor (console) shifter you must have a transmission with the lower mounting holes underneath

You can see them here, the two small "eyes" at the bottom of the tail housing just behind the main case

BPP111000-1_295x.jpg

You did not mention what engine you have............

If your engine is original it will have the so called "early" small converter bore. This means a later transmission with the larger converter pilot will not fit. You need to find out the year of your engine or measure the crankshaft converter pilot bore. If you find a later transmission, you could have a custom converter built I guess

Also be aware that Mopar transmissions MUST fit the engine. The slant six, the small block series, and big block or 426 hemi engines are three different transmission cases

Also, if you want to use a factory floor (console) shifter you must have a transmission with the lower mounting holes underneath

You can see them here, the two small "eyes" at the bottom of the tail housing just behind the main case

View attachment 1715203502

Engine Magnum 360, year 1996-1997. Looks like I know now more and less at the same time :)

Thanks a lot for help! Planning to have a chat with some transmission builder/restorer to avoid mistake. Delivery to my country will take 2 month and 300-400 dollars...

-
Back