dart gets a new holley

-

68gts340

Reaction score
today ups brought my summit order, i spent all afternoon playing in the shop...i took off the carter that i rebuilt two weeks ago ... (it still sucked.)... put on the new 3310 vac carb and added the rear metering block , fired up nicly, but rich as all get out at idle,, vaccum test showed 5 -5.5 so i had a 2.5 power valve for the bracket car, in it went ....nice idle now ... took her down the street ,,,what a differance!!!! it is starting to act like a 340 mopar finially......lots more to do yet but it is nice to see it going in the right direction..... this weekend i hope to do the final jetting and air fuel ratio ......got to go over the dist first, i think the prev.owner was in there also......sooner or later i will have repaired all of his " fixings " but the good news is the car runs so well now that I am going to leave the 340 victor manifold on ... holleys are a good carb when you take the time to dial them in..... ( even when it is to big )
Today was a good day for pullin gears !!!!

That's great 68gts340! There's nothing quite like romping the throttle on a well tuned V8! I hear a lot of complaints about Holleys and Demons, especially on some of the 4x4 sites that I frequent (jeez, just try to explain how to tune a Holley to a ham fisted 4x4 guy sometime! :scratch: That's why I hang out here :toothy7: Plus I plan on getting an A-Body soon), but with a little research and thought (like you did by checking your idle vacuum), these carbs run better than anything else I've found yet. I'm guessing there was a 6.5 power valve in there? Are you running a MP distributor?

yes the carb came with a 6.5 power valve, i had a 2.5 spare for the bracket car so i threw it in , next day i picked up a 3.5 and installed it. the 2.5 was just a little shy, the 3.5 is dead on...
the dizzy is a very old accell duel point , along with the huge ugly accell coil, the coil is now gone and replaced with a msd blaster.... went through the dist to , it was fine and right on the $ ..must be the previous owner was afraid to get in there,,,,,,,every thing they " fixed " has been poorly done or just plain wrong...so everything on this car takes a few more hours than it should...but it is getting there......

68gts340, you might want to keep an eye on that Accell dual point dizzy. They were famous (infamous?) for very bad bushings. I ran a couple of them on street/strip Chivvies years ago, and some of my buddies ran them on Chivvies and Mopars, and we all had the same problems with them. If your ride really starts to run rough, and at first glance it seems to be a carb problem, check the Accell for wobble in the bushings.

now that you mention it.... i think thats why my 64 fury ended up with a mallory,,,i have never had much luck with accel parts....msd will be in the works for the dart, but for now the accel is working ok ...and there are plenty of other things the dart needs . I plan on driving this car for a season or two before tearing it all apart , besides I have a couple other projects already started........

-
Back