Dart GT side mirrors

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
HI all

I'm starting to redo my 66 Dart GT, and was wondering what kind of side mirrors the 66 had. I've got 3 nice remotes, but I know they are off a 67 + A-body. would these be the same for a 66 Gt,??.Thanks in advance

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

They had 2 styles that I know of. A twin post manual and a remote. The remote style also had a right hand manual too. Both are available as reproductions. I don't know if there was a single post available in 66. toolman

Attachments

• twin post.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 158-OSM869R.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 128
'66-'76 A-body + '66-'70 B-body remote left and "looks like remote but isn't" right mirrors are identical.

Manual mirrors varied more -- depending on whether they were factory- or dealer-installed, and whether the dealer was buying the Mopar ones or generic aftermarket units. The twin-strut item Toolmanmike shows in the top picture was certainly used through '66 as a dealer-installed accessory and might have been factory installed as an orderable option. I can't find it in the '67 FPC, which confirms my formerly fuzzy assumption that it was no longer officially used after '66. Nothing to stop dealerships from installing them on '67-up cars, though! The '67-up basic manual Mopar sideview mirror looks like this, left = right:

67_Up_Sideview_Mirror_1.png

67_Up_Sideview_Mirror_2.png

All these mirrors are available as reproductions, with quality varying from garbage (such as the Chinese junk from PG Classics, see here) to passable to reasonably decent.

Dan, I just read through your PG Classic post. Interesting read. Nice info to know. I am looking for a right side "Matchmate" mirror. I have looked at the displays at the Nationals and BE&A products look top quality but maybe not. I will have to investigate. toolmanmike

The '66 and earlier remote mirrors used a larger diameter control than the '67 and newer version. If you're converting to remote from a manual mirror, use the '67-up version as it's much easier to find. The main advantage to the earlier remote mirror is the control head can be removed easily from the cables (which you have to do to install it in the door). The '67-up control is crimped tight around the cable housings and sometimes breaks if you try to remove it but it will slip through the hole in the door skin so removing it is not normally necessary unless you want to disassemble it for rechroming.
There are a variety of control knob shapes through the years also.

The '66 and earlier remote mirrors used a larger diameter control than the '67 and newer version.

Mmmm…not that I've seen. The housing head is very slightly different in design detail, unique to the '64 and then differently unique to the '65, but from what I've seen over the years '66-'76 A-body and '66-'70 B-body remote mirrors are all the same as far as the housing and glass go. The only differences are short (4dr + 2dr w/vent wing windows) vs. long (2dr w/o vent wing windows) cables running from the control to the mirror, and minor differences in the shape of the control knob.

Mmmm…not that I've seen. The housing head is very slightly different in design detail, unique to the '64 and then differently unique to the '65, but from what I've seen over the years '66-'76 A-body and '66-'70 B-body remote mirrors are all the same as far as the housing and glass go. The only differences are short (4dr + 2dr w/vent wing windows) vs. long (2dr w/o vent wing windows) cables running from the control to the mirror, and minor differences in the shape of the control knob.
.....................................................................................................
Here's a photo of three different remote mirrors. The one on the left is a '66 model, the center is a '67, and the right is a '70. As you can see, the control is much bigger on the LH one. Other differences on the LH one is the base is not attached to the head. It is just sandwiched between the head and the door shell. Also the round part of the head is tapered more steeply toward the glass. The later ones are almost straight.

Attachments

• 100_0799.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 95
Oh, duh, it helps if I read correctly, doesn't it? I thought you were saying the mirror head itself was differently sized.

oopsa.gif

Thanks for the reply guys

Looks like I have 3 70 and up model mirrors. But my 67 and 69 B-cudas both have the 70s mod on them. They are both original too the cars. They have the same kind of notched retainer nut as the one on the right in Cudamarks pic.
I'll use one of them on the 66 dart GT. I was looking at them yesterday, and the control wires are all crimped on, and as stated you have to be cautious taking them apart to install thru the door.

Oh, duh, it helps if I read correctly, doesn't it? I thought you were saying the mirror head itself was differently sized.

oopsa.gif
Actually, it is slightly. The rear part of the head (the last 5/8" or so), from the widest ridge to the glass opening, is at a different taper. The glass itself is slightly smaller in diameter to partially accommodate the smaller opening 4 3/16" vs. 4 5/16".

Thanks for the reply guys

Looks like I have 3 70 and up model mirrors. But my 67 and 69 B-cudas both have the 70s mod on them. They are both original too the cars. They have the same kind of notched retainer nut as the one on the right in Cudamarks pic.
I'll use one of them on the 66 dart GT. I was looking at them yesterday, and the control wires are all crimped on, and as stated you have to be cautious taking them apart to install thru the door.

The retainer nut for the '67-9 A-body is like the '70 in the photo. The nut shown with the '67 mirror came off a C-body. Different years and models used various nuts to match the interior. If the hole in the outer door skin is the correct size, you don't need to take the control off the '67-up mirror.

-
Back