Dart is totalled.. now what ?

-
Being in this same boat a while back I can tell you unfortunatly the way the system works the only way to get the insurance company to pay anymore is to hire a lawyer and let them get what you what they can and then watch the lawyer take a 1/3.

We are still in the process of sorting things out and what not, but luckily my dad had found a random thumb drive of all things that had the Excel spreadsheet of all the receipts I was entering throughout the years or restoring the vehicle. I thought I lost all the files because my computer I had them on at the time fried, but thankfully they were kept elsewhere, so we can prove now that we had invested 13k+ into it not to mention everything else after records stopped once files were lost. I'll keep y'all updated on everything !

keep us posted man im going though the same thing .. but i cant talk bout it yet .. i had to get a lawer but they paied on my car thats why i said what i did .. u have 2 years to settle so dont rush it bud

That's the most ridiculous offer I've ever heard... The blue book is way more than that, plus if you put money into it and prove it! Don't take that offer, they are trying to screw you. That happened with my sisters boyfriend. He had an old truck that got wrecked and they kept low balling him. He fought it and got a little more than double what they offered him at first. Keep it and fight for more money...

They are trying to hose you, fight it. Tell them to try to find a dart as nice as it was in the before photo for the omount of money they are offering you. Good luck. Insurance companies are almost as much scum as politicians.

I have fought almost every insurance company on this planet and it can be done as long as you don't cash their check. Most all insurance companies give you what they think is replacement value and if you can prove its worth more, then they cannot settle. One of the things I have learned is that your vehicle should be appraised so the value is on paper. Whatever is said verbally between you and the company doesn't mean Jack as proof is in paperwork..

Send a letter to the owner and the driver of the car that hit you informing them that their insurance isn't giving you a fair quote and that if you cannot agree to a number you and your lawyer will be coming after them.

The company I worked for had a 1975 Ford Van with nearly 200k miles on it involved in a similar accident about eight years ago. They just stuck to their guns and insisted the van be fixed and refused to accept anything else. Of course with a classic car you may not want to do that because then you have a car that has been wrecked and worth less to the buyer who does his homework.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would insist on a big *** bucket of money equaling the sum total of your investment.

This is precisely why I had my car appraised. I don't ever want to have an issue with the insurance company saying it is totaled and giving me a small check. I am going back this spring to get it done again since it has the new motor, tranny, rear end, and hood scoop.

I would say keep it. If they give you the totaled value thats not much more then the settlement if you keep it. From the pictures and our point of view as restorers, its not that bad we pull worse out of junk yards.
From the insurance point of view thats a 40 year old car and the repairs would exceed the value. It dosen't make any differance how much you have put into your car from basic auto insurance stand point, thats why most of us go with specialty insurance or use your own insurance with a ridder (if they will let you) but you can set your own value. I still say , if you can keep it.

Dude thats horrible! And DAMN IT DODGE! Common you dont attack another Dodge! You attack Smartcars, Fords and Chevvys.

Typical low ball offer. It is fixable. I would get a real estimate for repairing from a body shop I trusted for starters. A good used front clip and you would be on your way back.

You are only entitled to fair market value. $1,800 is not fair market value. Simply tell them that you will not settle for that amount.

First of all, if your car is worth $13k as you state, then it's NOT totalled because the damage does not appear to be anywhere near that extensive. Secondly, if you can prove the car's value (what you spent and have in receipts, is not necessarily it's value) and get two separate repair estimates, then you don't even need a bloodsucking lawyer. You'll have to sue the other driver in small claims court. Most municipalities allow up to $5,000 in small claims, which should cover the repair (you may have to step up to a county court for that amount.) The insurance company will send a lawyer to represent the other driver in court. That lawyer will try to beat you down with low offers. Don't accept until they pay at least the lower estimate amount and loss of use up to $5k. It's almost guaranteed that the judge will be on your side.

dude that sucks. not only did u get hit but u got it by a dodge ram 2 x the pain it is causing u. i feel your pain

I would fight it and get a few estimates of it. Some may estimate it higher than others.

Do not accept their offer. I had this issue couple years ago when someone ran a red light and totalled out my sons 66 Mustang....
I had all my receipts and surfed the internet for cars for sale in the condition mine was in within 750 miles of my address.

My car needed alot of work as we hadn't started on any body work and were half way through the interior..but 6 cyl motor was top notch. Got them from 1800 up to 5500.00 for the car and then bought it back for about the same salvage amount and got all my parts back again. Unfortunately his frame was seriously damaged so not salvageable. Good luck and let them know they aren't going to walk all over you....

Also if you have to buy another vehicle make sure you get reimbursed for the sales tax on the new vehicle up to the claim amount. They have to make you whole for everything you are reasonably out.

Almost forgot...if they do fix it make sure you get reimbursed for the difference in value between before the wreck and what the value is repaired.

thanks for all the opinions and support everyone ! I think we are getting closer to seeing what the verdict will be on obtaining somewhat of a reasonable value for my car.

-
Back