Dart "Lite" aluminum intake

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
I have a 76 dart sport Lite that I will be parting out soon. Is the aluminum intake on these anything special? Are they worth anything? Let me know. Thanks. :help:

No, but the carb is a specially calibrated unit that was supposed to deliver 25-26 mpg. I have read that some of the lites would pull 30 mpg but I find that hard to beleive

Slant six aluminum intake with a two barrel would sell here or on slantsix . org easily.

I have a 76 dart sport Lite that I will be parting out soon. Is the aluminum intake on these anything special? Are they worth anything? Let me know. Thanks. :help:

The lite cool running intake is :-k if it's not cracked and or needs repair on threads.. I would much rather have a lite intake... can anyone tell me and Graminizer any different ? I would guess this IS a 2 barrel aluminum intake :-k .... The carb could be special :dontknow: But seems the intake would be worth more JMO..

the aluminum weighs about 18 pounds lighter than the 2 barrel cast iron one.

The carb might be a bit specific to the year and model, but most 2 bbl Carters on 318 and slants can interchange.

the aluminum weighs about 18 pounds lighter than the 2 barrel cast iron one.

The carb might be a bit specific to the year and model, but most 2 bbl Carters on 318 and slants can interchange.

I think that either:
1. This is not a Dart Lite manifold or
2. It's a one-barrel manifold.

Slant Six Dan said in a post, "The '76 Feather Duster/Dart Lite had an aluminum 1bbl sandcast intake -- totally different from the '60 casting."

This guy knows slant sixes.

Why would they install a 2-bbl carb on an engine that had a 1-bbl, when fuel economy was what they were after? Doesn't make sense to me...

Better look again at that carb...

Thank you Bill :cheers: Thank you for jumping in :happy2:

The intake is aluminum. No question. Not sure what type of carb is on it.....bought the car, drove it home, parked it, then started taking off parts for my '73 Sport.:glasses7:

The intake is aluminum. No question. Not sure what type of carb is on it.....bought the car, drove it home, parked it, then started taking off parts for my '73 Sport.:glasses7:

Can you raise the hood and look at it?

Not too hard to tell a one-bbl from a two-bbl, even with the air cleaner on...

Here is the intake
004.jpg

Here is the carb....looks to be a 1 bbl
001.jpg

I would love to come across a Dart Lite or Feather Duster. I've read that they got close to 29 mpg on the highway. Very impressive for any car, even today.

The Feather Duster/Dart Lite got a 1-piece sandcast aluminum 1bbl intake manifold. Nice quality casting. Direct swap for any other slant-6 1bbl intake; I've got one on my '73. This is similar but not quite the same as the '83-'87 1-piece sandcast aluminum 1bbl intake, and it is definitely not the same intake as the '78-'82 2-piece EB-welded 1bbl and 2bbl aluminum intakes that weigh almost nothing.

There's nothing magical about the particular Holley 1945 carburetor used on the FD/DL. It's got a smaller venturi and smaller throttle bore and lean calibration -- conceptually the same as the taxi/fleet carburetors offered since '62.

It is probably worth $40 to the right person. Most want a 2 bbl intake. I don't need it since I have the denigrated EB welded one ($20) to try EFI later.

Looks like it is broke where the intake and exhaust
bolt together in your second picture, not sure, but can anyone ells chime in ?
Look right under the fuel line down on where they meet..

Don't see evidence of a carb fire, either -- just white "metal mould" corrosion that's commonly found on "remanufactured" carburetors that have had the passivating surface treatment blasted off the castings.

The carburetor shown isn't a Feather Duster/Dart Lite item, though.

Don't see evidence of a carb fire, either -- just white "metal mould" corrosion that's commonly found on "remanufactured" carburetors that have had the passivating surface treatment blasted off the castings.

The carburetor shown isn't a Feather Duster/Dart Lite item, though.

Yeah and it is dirty. So even if you clean it you always know in the back of your mind that it had dirt on it.:smile:

Seriously though weren't the feather dusters 1920's.

No. The last year for the Holley 1920 was 1973. For 1974 all Slant-6s got the Holley 1945 (except a few Dodge trucks used a Carter BBS in 1974). The only year for the Feather Duster/Dart Lite was 1976; they all had 1945s.

Sold

Attachments

• Dart_Lite_Fenders.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Lite_Aluminum_Intake.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 286
Curious what it sold for. I understand the Dart Lite had special aluminum front bumper and hood. Don't toss those if in good condition.

Dart light and feather dusters had aluminum doors, hoods, trunks and then the aluminum in the engine bay. I didn't know about the bumpers though. That would be a pretty cool car either way.

Curious what it sold for. I understand the Dart Lite had special aluminum front bumper and hood. Don't toss those if in good condition.

Darts and Feathers had aluminum bumper reinforcements and underhood panels. Not Aluminum Bumpers or Hoods!

The price on the intake was fair for me. I got a good deal.

-
Back