Dart rear tires

-

Rare TA

Reaction score
I was wondering what size of rear tires would fit the 68 Dart. I have a pair of 15X7's for the rear and 15X5.5's steel rims for the front. I'm hoping to put 275X60's on the rear. Will they fit without tubing and moving the springs? Thanks for any info!

I don't think they will fit,I have a 67 dart and they wouldn't fit my car until it was mini tub and moved the springs in
Mike

Yeah, I think a 245/60x15 is the largest I've seen without relocating the springs. Plus, a 7" rim is kinda narrow for a 275 section width.

I have to agree with everyone else, 275's no way, can't get them in there without moving springs and mini tubbing.

These are 245/60-15's on the back of my sons Dart and they just fit with maybe a 1/4" on the inside and outside. Maybe a 255 will fit but I se no way a 275 will fit. But we do fit 9 x 28 slicks at the track ! Ron

22948023.jpg

My 69 Swinger has 275/60's on 15x7 rims. No prob at all. Just get the back spacing right. To install, or remove, I do have to jack on the body, not the axle. They look huge from the rear on these cars.

MtNemoMopar said:
My 69 Swinger has 275/60's on 15x7 rims. No prob at all. Just get the back spacing right. To install, or remove, I do have to jack on the body, not the axle. They look huge from the rear on these cars.

Thanks, that is why I wanted to use them. They really fill the wheel wells on my Challenger and Road Runner also. The rims I have are stock Mopar 15X7 steel wheels I think they are from a van or pickup. Not really sure as I got them at a salvage yard. They say 15X7 JJ on the inside of them with a penta star on them.

Thats going to be a tight fit. I have 275-60 on my Barracuda and they fill the wheel wells. I also have my springs moved in.

IM000585.gif

I knocked out my studs(small bolt pattern),then used cop rims to check backspacing. They were perfect!! Next, I had Stockton wheel make me a set of Rallyes with the small pattern. No one sells a small pattern wheel with the proper backspacing. If you want a picture of mine, let me know, and I'll send one. As a side, I used TTI A-body tips,they are bigger, and together these changes made the rear view pretty tough.My springs are re-arced,but the rest is stock, and these would have still fit.

MtNemoMopar said:
If you want a picture of mine, let me know, and I'll send one.
I would like to see a pic, and the specs for the wheel you had made too. Is the rear end an 8-3/4 A-Body? Did you roll the lip on the quarter panel or use offset hanger/shackles? Sorry for sounding skeptical... but I am. :) I just don't understand how you fit an 11" wide by 28" tall tire under a Dart without cutting something. But if there's a way to do it, I want to do it to mine too!!

I am also hoping to run 275/60 15s on my Dart.

Currently I have 235/60s and they look small. My sprins HAVE been relocated somewhere along the line, and I am currently 15x8 draglites on the back.

If nothing else I KNOW I can fit 255s.

Thanks for the photos. I have a 75 Dart parts car that has disc front and 7 1/4 rear with large bolt pattern. This is the front and rear I'm going to use on my 68 Dart. Do I have to change the complete rear or can I just put the brake and back plates and shafts from the 75 rear into the 68 rear? They are both 7 1/4 rears so I'm hoping to do this to get the large pattern on the rear. If I have to I'll move the springs but it's sounding like I will get by without it. I would like to keep the gearing that is in the 68 Dart has as it's a 2:94 and the 75 has 2:76's. This is going to be a car for the wife to drive but I would like to keep the better ratio.

I just put a pair of 275/60/15 MT ET Street Radials on my '69 Dart GT on 15x8 Weld wheels. The rear is a stock length 8-3/4" rear with big bolt pattern axles. The stock wheel well barely accomodates these tires, but only with some modifications. FIrst, the outer lip is rolled. In addition, the leaf springs are moved in slightly with the offset front and rear hangers. The location of the rear spring in the front hanger is in the lowest hole of the front hanger. I don't have a drive train in the car, so the fit isn't quite final yet. Worse case, I may end up mini-tubing the car.

With 8 inch rims,you might have to do some mods. I never rolled the lip, or moved the springs. Beware though, that some Mopar rears aren't exactly centered perfectly. I got lucky as mine was very close. One mod I would like to make for appearance,move the rear back an inch,to center it in the wheel well. The front of my tire is very close to the quarter panel.

The spring perches aren't welded onto my rear yet. I still need to back brace the rear, drop in the drive train, have the driveshaft shortened, add the Caltracs and new shocks, then set the pinion angle and weld on the perches. Right now, the rear is centered and the tires fit, but they are very close to the outer fender lips, which have been rolled.

MtNemoMopar, what brand 275/60/15 tire are you using? Looks like the 15x7 rim draws the tire in quite a bit.

The tires are Firestone, Indy 500's. The 7 inchers do suck them up, but don't seem to affect the tread patch. In person, the tires look really beefy from the side, and the rims look deeper than 7 inch. The trim rings are off of a Challenger, but are kind off rough. New ones are in this winters budget.

I have 255-60-15x7's cop ralleys and had to cut the wheel well lip to fit them. No way a 275 will fit w/o relocating springs.

Well, I measured mine out. I MIGHT be able to sqweak the 275 part (12" tread), however the BFG 275/60R15 is 28.1", and there is NO WAY that is boing to fit diameter wise in my wheel well. The front to back dimensions just don't work.

Looks like this mod is not gonna happen.

But again, the 255/60R15 will fit without any mods. So, I'm gonna do that, and move my 235s to the front.

Since some say they fit I wonder if the wheel openings on the older Darts are larger than the newer ones. Would someone know if I can just change the Ax shafts from the 75 Dart into the 68 housing? They are both 7 1/4 rears.

superdart said:
Well, I measured mine out. I MIGHT be able to sqweak the 275 part (12" tread), however the BFG 275/60R15 is 28.1", and there is NO WAY that is boing to fit diameter wise in my wheel well. The front to back dimensions just don't work.

Looks like this mod is not gonna happen.

But again, the 255/60R15 will fit without any mods. So, I'm gonna do that, and move my 235s to the front.

Should fit fine with the right backspacing...here's some shots of the L60s (275/60-14) I have on my Demon....room to spare.:) Stock spring location.

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

-
Back