Darts-70 vrs 69

-
For me 68 is the single best year Dart - hands down. The round side markers matched w/ the round grille parking lights make it better than the 69 and 67. the tail lights are also the single best Dart design of any year - just a great combo of styling all around.

Overall though, I like the 70/71 grille and front valance/bumper the best - I just think the rear end styling of the 70^ just isn't all that great looking. At times it can look like a saggy diaper.

There just not much than can be done to match the sexiness of a 68 Dart with big meats on the back and an aggressive stance.
minus the big meats:
1837948-DSC03423-2.jpg

They are both nice, I have a 72 and like the looks! I like the 7-71 Grill a tad more than the 72. The 69 tail lights remind me of the 68 Roadrunner, which is one of my favorite Mopars.
I guess I cast a split vote too . . . They are ALL nice!

thats easy for me,67-68-69 only 3 years that body style was made.I am not a big fan of a car that keeps ther same look for more than 4 years.Like the Chevells 68 up to 74 yuck.

I would love to see a picture of the 340 scoops on a 67-69 Dart. Been thinking about it...

Ask and ye shall receive....

I was thinking of using this setup on my '69 Dart, but still undecided. I think the scoops are too far apart on this '67 - JMO.

67DartWScoops.jpg

OK, Sparky, here's my opinion. Admittedly, I am very biased toward the '69 because my first Mopar was a 5-month old '69 340 Swinger and I loved that car. It just had the complete package of looks and performance. I'm still kicking myself for selling that car years ago.
In fact, my desire for another '69 Dart is what made me put my 1 of 3001 '83 15th Anniversary Hurst Olds up for sale. It's going to finance the completion of my 'new' '69 Dart.
I like the basic '70 design, especially with the twin hood scoops, but thought the design was much 'softer' than the 'agressive' look of the '67-'69 body style. IMO, there isn't anything that screams "MUSCLE" like a hemi-scooped '68-'69 Dart with tubs and 'steamroller' rubber - the only thing that comes close is a hemi-scooped '67-'68 Barracuda.
Regarding the '67-'69 Dart styling:
1967 - Didn't care for the front grill. The tail light design was too plain and the backup lights were in the bumper.
1968 - Didn't care for the round fender markers or round turn signals in the front grill when all the other styling was rectangular. I also thought the tail light design was too busy with the 3 sections, and the '68 twin bee stripes were too busy.
1969 - Perfect package of styling. The rectangular fender reflectors and rectangular turn signals in the front grill all echoed the rectangular grill and boxy style of the basic car. The tail light design was much cleaner with with only the single middle bar dividing the tail light into 2 sections. I much preferred the '69 bee stripe design over the '68.
Sorry for being so long-winded, but you asked.

I have had both and still own my 69 ..
so my vote is for the 69
but it doesnt really matter they are both great looking cars....

Thanks for all the replies guys, very interesting.I may be hung up on the 69 because back in 1998 before I had a car and the search was on I had struck a deal on a sweet 69 GTS I had found in Calgary. Drove the seven hours to go look at it struck a deal for the car ,the original 340 and a hopped up 360. All was arranged and a week before I was going to go pick it up and trailer it back, the so and so backed out at the last minute.Chit happens I guess, I was angry to say the least.It all worked out as I really wanted a cuda and had been searching for a year with no luck then it happened.In 1999 I found a 68 340 s notcho in Cranbrook:toothy10: No matter what it is my favorite by far and I would never give that baby up.(Well maybe for a 70 GTX 440)

For me 68 is the single best year Dart - hands down. The round side markers matched w/ the round grille parking lights make it better than the 69 and 67. the tail lights are also the single best Dart design of any year - just a great combo of styling all around.

Overall though, I like the 70/71 grille and front valance/bumper the best - I just think the rear end styling of the 70^ just isn't all that great looking. At times it can look like a saggy diaper.

There just not much than can be done to match the sexiness of a 68 Dart with big meats on the back and an aggressive stance.
minus the big meats:
1837948-DSC03423-2.jpg

Me too, '68 is the best.....but to tell the truth, I like '69 taillights just a liiitttle bit more. But a '70 with that angled tail stripe?......KILLER! Also, with the '67 '68 or '69's, I tend to like aluminum grilles more than plastic, and the GT's and GTS's aluminum tail panel?......it looks classy and high quality......the taillights in the bumper just never tripped my trigger.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a saggy diaper, though......:cheers:

I like the 1968 Dart the best.But I love the 70 almost as much after 1972 Dodge pretty much ruined the look of the car.
Jim

I believe that the darts looked to much like the b bodies untill they changed them in 1971. Once they separated these two styles the darts became there own. But as we all know they decided to create a fast back and that went right back to the idea of having a a body molded from the b body. I really like the looks of the 71 as compared to the older 67 thru 69, But if we look at the barracuda specially the 69 440 thats a car with style.

Well gotta go with the 69's but also had a 70 ....always been hooked on the 69's ever since my buddy bought a new 69 ( 340 ) 4 spd. Remember him racing it with the window stickers still on the side window .... pretty cool !

67-69's all the way:supz:
Don't like much after 1970, except the duster/demon.
The boxy styling is cool, same goes for 66-67 B-bodies esp RO/WO 23's.
Hemi darts are the ultimate, so that really rubs off on the 68 darts, I like the clean sides of the 67 tho, but prefer 68 tailights and grille, I'm building a dart like that. But overall prefer the 69 (my daily driver), the swinger 340 is a great package, nice and simple, great handling, has a better weight distribution than the later darts too, if only they came from the factory with a 340 sixpack, and glass hood like the superbees=P~

-
Back