Dash Bezel Restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Hello fellow members,

Some time ago, a member spoke of dash bezel restoration or knowing of a reasonably priced outlet to have these plastic dash bezels detailed and re-chromed. Do any of our
members restore dash bezels, or know of a place to have them restored? I am looking for a nice set (to be redone) as well for a 66 Dart GT. Thanks. PM me at Old Dart 66.

GCAR in Washington state did mine last year or the year before. Very nice work, but not fast, and somewhat pricey. He has prices on his website.

Cosgig started a thread and a few of us participated in a diy bezel resto. Do a search for it I can't post a link with my phone.

I had a " spray on chrome" guy do mine after I cleaned mine up with Easyoff oven cleaner, they came out fair (not perfect but what do you expect for 100.00 for all those pieces

of course I decided I wanted a white gauge face too!:banghead:
before

View attachment -0725.jpg

after cleaning

View attachment DSCF3764.jpg

mmmm good

View attachment -0841.jpg

it did blur the letters a bit but was readable. (rookie painter mistake)

View attachment -0842.jpg
all the rest came out great

View attachment -0843.jpg

View attachment -0856.jpg

View attachment -0866.jpg

View attachment DSCF4179.jpg

View attachment DSCF4172.jpg

Does your spray on chrome guy have a web link ? Any contact info is appreciated.

Does your spray on chrome guy have a web link ? Any contact info is appreciated.

I think his info was "Codychrome52" and he ran a spectra chrome spray setup located in Ocala,Florida.
but I have been unable to contact him in a month or so.
a lot of spray chrome guys come and go. I'd look into it on the web and find a local sprayer

most of the home kits like the alsa kits "sorta" work but don't give a great shine if you clear coat it and if you don't clear coat it you can wear it off really fast.
plus they are expensive for what you get.

on the next set of "prototype" replacement round bezels for my 66's rectangular ones I'm going to look into the silvering process to see if I can "tin" it and "silver" it to get the "chrome" look and clear coat it for durability.

Here's my bezels done at GCAR, which I thought was reasonably priced! I believe I paid $450 for the bezel, $65 for the glovebox trim, and $170 for the pillar mouldings! The $450 is $45 cheaper than buying the repopped bezel from BE&A, and GCAR completely redid everything, whereas BE&A doesn't include the lenses, another $195!!! For $700 turnaround I think GCAR did me right!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 375
Hello fellow members,

Some time ago, a member spoke of dash bezel restoration or knowing of a reasonably priced outlet to have these plastic dash bezels detailed and re-chromed. Do any of our
members restore dash bezels, or know of a place to have them restored? I am looking for a nice set (to be redone) as well for a 66 Dart GT. Thanks. PM me at Old Dart 66.

Thanks for the information. The car is in currently in storage for the Iowa Winter. Nice time to re-do a set. I am still looking for a set I can restore, can anyone help me. Thanks. PM me at Old Dart 66

I think his info was "Codychrome52" and he ran a spectra chrome spray setup located in Ocala,Florida.
but I have been unable to contact him in a month or so.
a lot of spray chrome guys come and go. I'd look into it on the web and find a local sprayer

most of the home kits like the alsa kits "sorta" work but don't give a great shine if you clear coat it and if you don't clear coat it you can wear it off really fast.
plus they are expensive for what you get.

on the next set of "prototype" replacement round bezels for my 66's rectangular ones I'm going to look into the silvering process to see if I can "tin" it and "silver" it to get the "chrome" look and clear coat it for durability.

I'm looking forward to seeing your prototype for round gauges...I just got a good amount of 1/8" aluminum that my company was throwing out, so I might push forward with making my own one of these days.

Here's my bezels done at GCAR, which I thought was reasonably priced! I believe I paid $450 for the bezel, $65 for the glovebox trim, and $170 for the pillar mouldings! The $450 is $45 cheaper than buying the repopped bezel from BE&A, and GCAR completely redid everything, whereas BE&A doesn't include the lenses, another $195!!! For $700 turnaround I think GCAR did me right!!

those bezels are beautiful! for a show car I'd spring for the GCAR redo, but for my driver I'll stick with my spectra-chrome job, since there is very little chrome on the 66 dart bezel compared to that one of yours. heck the 66's only have the mounting holes for the switches and 2 tiny little lines of chrome on the complete dash bezel.

as for the round bezel setup for my car. it's going to have to wait a bit I'm in the process of redoing the home built CNC machine to a much more rigid unit (oh and bigger too! 44" x72" vs the old 32"x 48") to make the parts and molds for other stuff I need to make for my car. after the new year is when I'll be digging in to complete the stuff.

-
Back