dash cap vs repop dash pad.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I know this has been a thread here a few times. I cant find an old thread about this.

I was gonna get a repop dash pad from B/E&A parts. However they dont stock em anymore. They were a great price too.

What kind of results has anybody here gotten out of a dash cap?

I have a fairly straight 74 dart pad in granny green i could cover up with a black cap and use on my 67.

My 67 dash pad is so warped , cracked and tortured looking from sitting in the sun. Plus im not concerned about a 1 year only pad. The 69/76 style will look close enough like it belongs.

Lets see pix of those dash caps, and your experiences with the installs.

Thanks
Matt

I used one on a 66 coronet one time, don't remember the brand but it actually turned out pretty nice. That being said I have a 69 4 door dart that I may be parting out real soon unless someone buys the whole car and the dash pad in it is black and very nice. I'm not sure on the price or shipping, what are they going for?

My dash pad sat in the sun for 15 years and cracked really bad. After cutting off the part that curled up I installed a cap and it looks great after 6 years. I'd use the cap agAIN If I needed too.

I'm interested in this subject as well as I'm planning on buying a dash cap too. An additional question I would like to ask is if any one manufacturer is better than the others? I have been considering an Accu Form cap unless another brand is better.

I just went with a repop dash pad from classic industries. $239 plus a 20% discount for st patricks day, then add in shipping and insurance, it was $237 shipped.

Not bad concidering. B/E&A used to have these for $238 plus shipping. It does pay to shop around.

Matt

About 18 years ago, I bought a dash cap for my 69 Barracuda. It looked OK, but it didn't even come close to fitting. I wound up sending the dash pad to Just Dashes. They dis a marvelous job, and it still looks great.

I've had a cap on my dash for over six years now, and no one has even noticed. From the outside it looks normal, if you open a door, you can just barely see the original pad sticking out about 1/4 inch. No biggie. If your's is green, I would trial fit it first and see what sticks out and then shoot that with black vinyl dye so that it isn't obvious.

Like the others have said, trim off any jagged edges of cracks that are sticking up and CLEAN the old pad real well before gluing it on. I used the toilet paper roll method to hold it in place while the glue is setting.

I've had a cap on my dash for over six years now, and no one has even noticed. From the outside it looks normal, if you open a door, you can just barely see the original pad sticking out about 1/4 inch. No biggie. If your's is green, I would trial fit it first and see what sticks out and then shoot that with black vinyl dye so that it isn't obvious.

I will keep the 74 dash pad for the 69 notchback cuda thats going to be next on the rotisserie. I will prob put a cap on that one.

Put a dash cap on a 71 Dart and 71 Duster very nice looking.

I put a cap on my dart, turned out pretty nice, hard to even tell its a cap. If it was more of a show car than a driver I would probably replace the pad instead of a cap.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 335
Could always get creative and do something totally different. :D

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 344
-
Back