Dash Caps

-

1969Fish

Reaction score
I got a 69 Cuda and the dash is pretty rough. Has anyone ever used the dash caps from year one? Just curious how they look. Any pics?? Thanx!

I did one for a friend on his 71 Scamp about a month ago. It's O.K. There are a few issues with it though. First of all the original pad has a slight bend from the center out to the pillars, so when You install it and push the pillar ends in it bows the center up. Therefore You must use clamps in the center to keep it straight until the adhesive cures. Ah now for the adhesive, it's nothing more than clear silicone You use to caulk the bath tub. You might want to go to Homey Depot and get a big tube cause Your not gonna have enough in the tube they give You. One other thing the inside of the car still smells like friggin vinegar. All in all it looks pretty decent.

I put one in my Dart 3 years ago using only the supplied adhesive. It came out great and doesn't look like a cap at all. 3 years and no problems.

Any cracks need to be smoothed,and I taped them also so they wouldn't crack any further !! Totally happy how mine turned out !!

I used one and was very happy with it. For a driver theres no way I would spend $300 on a new pad when the car is $75 and looks great

Year One also sells the 300.00 re-popped dash pad. That's a higher cost option. I did the 300.00 dash pad on top and a two piece dash cap on the bottom.

I used the Year one dash cap on my 67 barracuda.

Make sure to rough up the mating surface really well with some sand paper and then use denatured alcohol or a very fast evaporating brake kleen to clean any debris, oil, silt etc.

Follow the directions carefully and only put the sealant they give you on the edges otherwise it will bulge in spots.

Sandwich it to your existing dash and put sandbags or tape to hold it down.

Leave it on there for a day and forget about it before you go messing with it.

It looks so real nobodWiltshire know Its fake unless they have a real good eye up close.

I was happy with mine but it did arrive with a large, fairly deep scratch in the dash cap near the drivers side top surface, but I installed it anyways because I'm not that picky about stuff.
I did call them about it and they said they would exchange it no problem but I told them they should just do a better quality control on the stuff they ship out for the next guy since it looks like it was scratched before it was wrapped in plastic, and the box it came in was not damaged in any way.

Got mine from ebay . dash was really cracked . Took a razor blade and cut the cracks ,sanded everything down. Then i used plastic bumper putty ,patched the cracks sanded smooth. Glued the cap on and used flat heavy weights to press it down. Worked out great. looks good.

anybody got pics of these caps? Considering using one on my 74 charger. but just want to see how they are turning out for you guys! sounds like they work well

-
Back