Dash Carrier Panel Cut Out plans

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
hi i got a 73 duster and mu gauges weren't working no matter what i did so i just decided to save up and get a 6 gauge set with a tach and make a new Dash Carrier Panel Cut Out and rewire my windshield wiper and headlight switch to toggle switches, does anyone have plans for a Dash Carrier Panel Cut Out or done this before? anything will help thanks

yea thanks i think im gonna see how much it costs to make one first since im putting most of my money into new gauges since my stock ones werent working at all

I am doing mine this weekend. I am curious to see how yours turned out. I am going for mech gauges right now and after I can afford them, I am gonna upgrade to electrical. Please share pics!

yea heres mine my gauges werent too expensive and the top of mine is only driiping down because i dont have the top screws in

15xr41k.jpg

The number/count of wires attached to your OEM wiper switch and headlight switch pretty much shows that replacing them with simple toggle switches wont be simple. Good luck though.

I'll throw out an idea for you so here's how I did mine. There's not much available for the 60's cars unless you want to shell out big money for a Peak Dash. Since you have a '73, you at least have the option of buying an insert for your car if you need to. Since I was changing all my gauges, I decided I could make my own. Starting with a piece of 22 guage flat sheet metal, I put a 90 degree brake in it. I hand bent the ends and then cut them to match the dash angle.

20130701_211906.jpg

Then I added some 1/8" rolled bar around the outside. I did these in small sections to get all the angles correct and to assure that the rolled bar was flush with the insert faces on the top and sides. This part of it took some time for me to get it the way I wanted it.

2066-1.jpg

2064-1.jpg

Rolled bar welded in place and checking fitment.

2014.jpg

All edged and surfaces filled and smoothed.

2031-1.jpg

Then painted and installed.

20140126_165746.jpg

20140126_171447.jpg

20140126_171648.jpg

Total cost was about $25 for the metal and $7 for paint. Although this was not expensive to make, it took me quite a bit of time all said and done considering how small of a part it is. But I was being very picky about how everything looked making sure there were no flaws. Overall I'm happy with the results and I can say that I hand made it. There's always some pride in that.

That is a super nice job working up bent metal to finished product. The round bar work is sweet.

-
Back