dash cluster help

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Is there a special way the dash cluster comes out on a 73 duster I dropped the steering wheel and disconnected the wires already is there anything else... thanks

Is there a special way the dash cluster comes out on a 73 duster I dropped the steering wheel and disconnected the wires already is there anything else... thanks
Does anyone have pics of removing the cluster?? I have to do this too over the winter, all my dash lights are burn't out.
"dropped the steering wheel and disconnected the wires already is there anything else"
I know you have to disconnect the speedo cable along with disconnecting the wires.

Remove all the screws in the front piece, drop the steering column, pull out slowly then unhook all the wires and speedo cable. Thats all there really is to it.

I would consider unhooking the battery too, but i've done it with out unhooking it too

Yes disconnect the battery. Those wires going to the Ammeter have straight battery power going to them. Be careful with the speedo cable. There is a little tab you push down and then pull out with. The plastic end with the tab may be brittle and easily breaks if you're too rough with it.

412 stroker, check your light switch in the dash cluster. It's a bear but you can remove it without removing the cluster. I just replaced the one in my 67 Valiant because I couldn't get the dash to light up. I put an ohmmeter on it and there was no continuity when I pulled the switch out. Replaced it with a backup switch I had and it works great now.

[/QUOTE]412 stroker, check your light switch in the dash cluster. It's a bear but you can remove it without removing the cluster. I just replaced the one in my 67 Valiant because I couldn't get the dash to light up. I put an ohmmeter on it and there was no continuity when I pulled the switch out. Replaced it with a backup switch I had and it works great now.[/QUOTE]

Here's a tip. Remove the one screw holding the fuse box in place. Push the box up and back so it rests behind its bracket. This makes the headlight switch is much easier to access.

When removing the inst' panel,
If yours is column shift automatic, dont put a lot of downward force into lowering the column without first shifting to neutral. Otherwise you might change the adjustment in the linkage/neutral safety switch. Only way to correct that would be crawling under the car.
Have fun

-
Back