Dash Fix

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I would like to reinstall a factory radio, unfortunately my dash has been cut to accept a single din. Is there a fix for this? I can do the metal work but the black trim piece that extends around the radio would need to be replaced. Is this piece available?
Thanks,

You need more clarification. Maybe a picture or two to show us what you are talking about will help us. What year and model car are you talking about?

You may be able to find an uncut used one.

You could prob fabricate something to hold radio in position,, then cover it with a stock faceplate.. pix would help,, crystal ball's in for detailing... lol

Sorry,
It's a 72 Dart Swinger. Here is a pic. The area has Ben cut. Looks like the piece I would need extends all the way up to the heater controls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 150
You would have to fab the metal back in somehow to hold the radio. That whole center bezel can be replaced with one that's intact.

Sorry,
It's a 72 Dart Swinger. Here is a pic. The area has Ben cut. Looks like the piece I would need extends all the way up to the heater controls.

Yes, it's a 1 piece bezel that also surrounds the heater controls. Place a "Wanted" ad here on FABO.

It's a 1 year only bezel, so be patient. Good Luck :cheers:

you have two major problems here:

1. you need to replace the plastic bezel that attaches to the dash frame.

2. The metal dash frame itself has been cut so one option is to replace the whole dash frame which can get involved and then you need expensive vin rivets to move your vin tag over OR if you can weld you will have to patch the cut out with a section cut from another frame.

I have this section cut off another frame and if you send me your address, you can have it. I can also cut even another frame for you if this is not the right size. That will help your frame problem with the metal itself. As for the plastic bezel piece...I wish I could help you but those plastic bezels are HARD TO FIND. I searched for almost a year before locating the one in my car. People didn't realize the damage they were doing by cutting the dashes for modern radio junk that outdates rapidly. Nothing is more timeless than a mint dash in completely original form just the way Ma mopar did it.

So good luck with your search on the plastic bezel and if I can help you patch up your frame send me a PM. :):)

BTW: you probably have a third problem if they cut your wires too :banghead: we will cross that bridge when you take it apart and know for sure....someone might be able to help with a pigtail you can splice in.

Attachments

• CIMG4270.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 126
another option is to eliminate the plastic bezel work and make the dash into the "standard" dash with a stand alone heater bezel and separate radio bezel.

These stand alone pieces were on the base model cars and are a lot easier to find.

In fact if you wanted to explore this option ....I have the stand alone heater bezel available like the one in this pic.

Attachments

• 468551_e7fa29abed_low_res.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 1972PlymouthDuster340_03_700.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 124
The dash in question would reveal a gang of fairly large holes where the full bezel is attached.
As for the comment about rapidly changing...
The D.I.N. standard for head unit was implemented in 1984 .
Even though many mfgrs are currently deleting the cd slot in new models, head unit size remains, single or double D.I.N.

-
Back